Chevy 44 narrowing

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm working on narrowing a Chevy Dana 44 for the front of my Toyota, just thought I'd post some good-to-have info that I found. Plus, It will be a good refrence for me. :D

From-

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3550619&postcount=15

ErikB said:
Sounds like YOU need to do your homework. :rolleyes:

Narrowing a 44 housing will cost the same as narrowind a 60 housing. Its the same process for either.

The 60 shafts will be custom though (and add cost) whereas (if you're smart about it!) the 44 can be narrowed to many different widths and still use stock length shafts. Stock length shafts could be junkyard shafts, or off-the-shelf alloys. The 60 has only one useful shorter stock length shaft that I know of, and it still leaves the axle pretty wide.

From here: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/4runner/sas/#Misc

Chevy Dana 44 width possibilities using stock length axle shafts:
(Axle widths are, WMS-WMS - wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface. Perch widths are center to center)

69" wide, 31.5" perches- stock Chevy 8-lug
68.75" wide, 31.5" perches- Chevy axle with Ford 5-lug outers
67.5" wide, 31.5" spring perch centers- stock Chevy 6-lug

65" wide, ~29" (Toy width) perches- long side cut down 2-3/8", use 70's Ford long side axle shaft
64.5" wide, 29" (Toy width) perches- long side cut down 3", use late 70's Wagoneer long side axle shaft
63.5" wide, 27.5" perches- long side cut down 4", use 80's Wagoneer long side axle shaft
62" wide, 29" (Toy width) perches- long side cut 4", short side 1.5", use 80's Wagoneer long side, Dodge short side. See Ed's D44 swap for an example of this one.

Wagoneer axle dimensions-
60.5" wide, 31.5" ??? perches, passenger's side diff, spring-under, late 70's Wagoneer
60.5" wide, 31.5" ??? perches, driver's side diff, spring-under, 80's Wagoneer
The wide perch width of Waggy axles means that big tires easily hit the springs, limiting steering radius. Perches can be narrowed, but the diff side is difficult because of the cast center section (u-bolts end up in front of diff cover bolts?). The passenger's side diff Waggy has the diff offset 1" closer to center than the driver's side diff Waggy. Narrowing the perches on a driver's side Waggy to Toy width may not even be possible.

That said, if you want to stay narrow, its probably easier to just run a Toy axle. A Toy axle install is basically bolt-on once you get the hangers welded up since nearly every vendor offers the same parts for it.
The 44 or 60 is a little more custom, and will take more research on your part.

Greg

Admin
I'm going for this one-

64.5" wide, 29" (Toy width) perches- long side cut down 3", use late 70's Wagoneer long side axle shaft

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Greg, on my setup, I used a chevy D44, and I cut down the drivers side 2". I then used a ford shaft(someone hard to find).

With this, I was able to move the drivers side inward, alowing me to use the stock toyota spring stance, but because I cut down the drivers side 2", it brought it out even. With wider axles, and using stock toyota spring stance, you get some pretty good flex.

Greg

Admin
Thanks for the help guys! I actually got it done, 3" off the long side. The axle is now bolted under my 4Runner. :cool:

I need to pick up that Waggy shaft still.