Chevy D44 narrowing???

samitoy

So I have found alot of write ups on doing the narrowing and I think i'm up to speed.

The one question I have is when you cut say 3" are you measuring from the outside of the C 3" or the inner edge of the C 3"???

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
samitoy said:
So I have found alot of write ups on doing the narrowing and I think i'm up to speed.

The one question I have is when you cut say 3" are you measuring from the outside of the C 3" or the inner edge of the C 3"???

The axle tube is pressed into the C, so you need to make up for that distance if you are cutting the axle down 3". So essentially you need to make your measurement from the inner edge of the C where the tube stops.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You're trying to narrow it 3" from what it is now? Measure from the end of the inner "C". Right on the end of the axle. Make a mark 3" in from that, and make your cut. When you pound the "C" back on stop when the cut end of the tube is flush with the inner edge of the "C" and you're done. 3" narrower. If you measure from the inside edge of the "C" you'll end up significantly narrower when you pound it back on. What are you using to make the cut?

samitoy

So the tube the is inside the C is part of the 3"??? Just want to make it clear so I can know as well as others when they do a search.

The post's I have read all used a chop saw so I was going to use the same???

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
samitoy said:
So the tube the is inside the C is part of the 3"??? Just want to make it clear so I can know as well as others when they do a search.

The post's I have read all used a chop saw so I was going to use the same???
Yes. Stop and think about it for a minute. You want to move that outside edge (the end of the axle) three inches in, right? So, make a line three inches in from that outside edge, and cut. A chop saw will work. A band saw will make a straighter, nicer cut with a lot less work. Are you narrowing both sides, or just one?