General Tech Chevy IFS alignment issues

Tonkaman

I need some help identifying the problem with my alignment. The front tires are getting shredded pretty bad on the inside and I need the problem addresses before I get new tires.

The truck is a 2002 2500HD with a Rough Country 4" lift kit. This year I installed the following front end parts:
- Pitman Arm (Moog)
- Idler Arm (Moog)
- Idler Assembly (super steer)
- Tie Rods (Rare Parts)
- Cognito steering braces
- Cognito UCA'S with Ball Joints
- Lower Ball Joints (Moog)

I had a local shop install the pitman arm since it was a PITA afterwards my steering wheel would not re-center, but my alignment came out flawless. I have been driving it that way for a few months now. After I received all the other parts I did another alignment but they couldn't get it very straight. I was told that it wasn't too bad to drive just not perfect on paper.

Keep in mind I have gone to this shop for a few years and they have always been excellent to work with, so naturally I trusted them. Now my tires are wearing so quickly I need another solution.

Does it sound like I'm getting poor work? So what do I look at next? What other parts would be screwing up my alignment?

Chevycrew

Its torsion bar, and most likely the lift is the issue. I have never seen an ifs lifted chevy that stayed in alignment. Although, with a good kit, they should be able to get the alignment perfect with a centered steering wheel. It just won't stay that way for long.

Another issue is how far the bars are cranked, the cv shaft should only have a slight angle at ride height. But this shouldn't cause your current issue.

Tonkaman

Yes it is torsion bars. The bars are not cranked too much my CV angles are pretty good. What is it about these lift kits that are so bad?

Chevycrew

Everything? Really there are many points to flex, move, shift, stretch, etc. I like the idea of once it gets installed and a proper alignment to have everything welded. On my trucks (88-98 style) I was actually bending the frame behind the lower a-arm attachment points.

Tonkaman

Everything? Really there are many points to flex, move, shift, stretch, etc. I like the idea of once it gets installed and a proper alignment to have everything welded. On my trucks (88-98 style) I was actually bending the frame behind the lower a-arm attachment points.

Wow that's a lot of force to go that. I'm really considering a solid axle swap if its just going to be a continuous battle. I really thought all the heavy duty parts would fix the problems

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I know its a lot of cash but i think it would be well worth it. Ive seen a few of those kits installed including Toby Lavenders personal truck. Almost makes me want a chevy.....almost.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Another vote for a D60 swap or even removing the lift. I agree with everyone the drop bracket lifts open a can of worms when it comes to alignment issues on an IFS GM :-\

Tonkaman

I have to admit I had NO CLUE how expensive a SAS is for this truck. I knew there were exotic kits that cost lots but even parting it together really adds up! I guess its time to decide how buried I can get into this rig before Its a fulltime play truck and not my daily driver.
Today when I got home I was inspecting my front tire wondering why It was covered in black. As I looked closer I realized the whole wheel wells were completely lined with tiny rubber shavings that are spraying off the tires. The alignment is steadily getting worse and as of today my tires are COMPLELY TRASHED! I need two 35" tires for 18" wheels if anyone has spares

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Yup...Its pretty spendy. But it makes the truck, well, a truck! Thats why my first thought with it was if your going to keep it for a long time. Only way it would be worth it. There is no reason a SAS would make this a play truck instead of a daily driver. In fact it would be the exact opposite. You could use it without worrying about knocking the alignment off.

Sucks about your tires!!

Tonkaman

I looked a little closer today and realized the pins for the camber adjustment are all gone. I soon realized the cause when I un-threaded the UCA bolts with my fingers! The shop that installed my new UCA's must not have torqued the ****ing bolts!

Are those pins replaceable? What do I need to do?