Chrysler 8.25 Pro's - Con's

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've got a buddy who just bought a 2001 Cherokee Limited with a Chrysler 8.25 rear end. Not being a Jeep person, I'm not terribly familiar with this axle. Is this a good axle for moderate use (he's planning on a 4" lift, locker and appropriately sized tires)? Or should he just ditch it and find a D44?

ewander

I've got a buddy who just bought a 2001 Cherokee Limited with a Chrysler 8.25 rear end. Not being a Jeep person, I'm not terribly familiar with this axle. Is this a good axle for moderate use (he's planning on a 4" lift, locker and appropriately sized tires)? Or should he just ditch it and find a D44?

I have had zero problems with this axle. I run it with 35" tires and a detroit locker and would say that I wheel moderately (4 and 4+ trails in moab). This axle does have c-clips, but seems to be pretty strong (your 01 has 29 spline shafts). One thing I like about it is that you only need to carry one spare shaft because they are the same length. You can only go to 4.56 gears also.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
pretty strong housing. small spiders and side gears, c-clip. only detroit, arb, and powertrax no-slip in the 29 spline variety your buddy has. I've heard it's difficult to set up gears in them.

worked ok for me up to 35's then grenaded

ewander

pretty strong housing. small spiders and side gears, c-clip. only detroit, arb, and powertrax no-slip in the 29 spline variety your buddy has. I've heard it's difficult to set up gears in them.

worked ok for me up to 35's then grenaded

Yeah, 37s are kind of big for the stock steering on an XJ, dana 30 and 8.25. Didn't I straighten your drag link on the Rusty Nail with my winch?

bradm

shameless posing...
I've ran 33's on my 29 spline 8.25 for 7 yrs, open for the first 3, then upgraded to 456's and an ARB 4 yrs ago. Zero problems. People bag on the c-clip and lack of deeper gear options, but for the kind of use you described, he'll be fine.

high_roller

www.RideandDriver.com
I ran 37's for two years without any problems. My 8.25 was open, though.
Your buddy will be fine, with the 8.25 under his XJ

Last edited:

Jeepin' Josh

Black 2001 XJ
I know a brand new con. I just went into six states today to pick up the yoke I ordered last month... Dana / Spicer and a couple others has made the yoke for that axel obsolete?? no longer sales it?? You have to get it from the dealer now.. The axel itself is better than the d 35 imo. I run mine hard and the only problem I have is that the pinion yoke is complete crap it's strap bolts instead of U bolts and the whole yoke is just weak. plus now you have to get them from MOPAR or a Junk Yard. But the shafts and everything else seems to be better.