Clutch

So i'm pretty sure my clutch and throw out bearing have toasted. Yesterday my gears just seem to grind all the time, and it wouldn't go into second gear at all. If i'm going and let off the gas it grinds, if i'm in neutral with the clutch out, it still grinds, like it isn't releasing all the way. So I picked up a new clutch kit, and attempted to do it today......in way over my head. So I called it a night, and went to back out of the garage, and heard a pop, and my clutch went to the floor. I released it and it came back out, and then wouldn't budge. So any ideas? I'm thinking my throw out bearing busted. Now the trick is finding someone who knows what they are doing, and cheap, I'm broke.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I just recently fixed the throwout arm & replaced the bearing in our 97 xj (ax15).

The pedal would push to the floor with no resistance. Turns out a $4.00 clip that holds the arm onto a pivot was the culprit. It broke off and allowed the arm to come out of position. Also, since I was already that far in I replaced the throwout bearing. It was about $40 I think? The clutch was still in good condition.

I was able to pull the transmission out and fix it all by my self... it's not too bad. Just a lot of crap to take apart and keep track of. You might not know what's really wrong until you take it apart...

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
yea, a while back we did changed a clutch in an tj and it was super easy. I do remember that there were some reverse torx bolts which were a pain to get out but other than that it was pretty strait forward