Colorado summer trip

notajeep

Just me
I'm in the planning stages for a late July trip to Colorado. I'd like to include either imogene pass or black bear pass.
Does anyone have any info on which would be more full size friendly?
Any other notable trails, camping spots, views, or areas that should not be missed?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
We'll be doing the same trip the first week of August. You definitely don't want a full size on Black Bear, you would be fine with one on Imogene though.

Engineer Pass is another good choice, if you're into old mining stuff.

notajeep

Just me
We'll be doing the same trip the first week of August. You definitely don't want a full size on Black Bear, you would be fine with one on Imogene though.

Engineer Pass is another good choice, if you're into old mining stuff.

Engineer pass sounds great, and is right on my current route.

Thank you!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Make sure you bring rain gear and jackets, the San Juan Mountains are known to have afternoon thunderstorms in the summertime.... we got hailed on a couple years ago when we were down there for the 4th of July.

Check out Corkscrew Gulch as well, if you have the time. Its one of my recent favorites. It's pretty easy to put together some loops and go up one trail, connect to another and come back down into a town. If you make it to Lake City, stop by Poker Alice for lunch... good food.

Imogene is epic, one of my faves no doubt. If you find yourself in Telluride and you need to head back towards Ouray, look for Last Dollar Road. It's an easy dirt road but you can take, rather than driving the highway.

You could drive to the summit of Black Bear pass, and then a little ways down before dropping in to where it starts to get sketchy. At that point the trail becomes one way only and if you're not going down, you'd best turn back there. I wouldn't want to take a full size Dodge over Black Bear but I have heard that people have done it.

notajeep

Just me
Make sure you bring rain gear and jackets, the San Juan Mountains are known to have afternoon thunderstorms in the summertime.... we got hailed on a couple years ago when we were down there for the 4th of July.

Check out Corkscrew Gulch as well, if you have the time. Its one of my recent favorites. It's pretty easy to put together some loops and go up one trail, connect to another and come back down into a town. If you make it to Lake City, stop by Poker Alice for lunch... good food.

Imogene is epic, one of my faves no doubt.

You could drive to the summit of Black Bear pass, and then a little ways down before dropping in to where it starts to get sketchy. At that point the trail becomes one way only and if you're not going down, you'd best turn back there. I wouldn't want to take a full size Dodge over Black Bear but I have heard that people have done it.

If I remember my google maps right. lake city is where we are started up Engineer pass... or at least that is where we will get off the highway.

OldGeezer

I followed a full size Suburban down Black Bear. Thought sure he was going to turn around at the steps. Nope, Dad got out and spotted his 12 year old kid the rest of the way down.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I followed a full size Suburban down Black Bear. Thought sure he was going to turn around at the steps. Nope, Dad got out and spotted his 12 year old kid the rest of the way down.

I bet it was simply nerve-wracking watching them make their way around each switchback! :eek: 18 point turn anyone?

OldGeezer

We hung out at the waterfall for a while hoping he didn't get hung up on the tightest switchback. He didn't and we never saw him again.
I'm pretty sure he'd done it before.