Commo while 4 wheeling

ZUKEYPR

If this is deemed not appropriate for this particular section than by all means move it. I wasn't sure. Cell phone contract is running out and I want to go with someone that I can get coverage while I am wheeling in Moab and 5 Mile pass Area. I currently have Sprint and it sucks. I go on roaming when I'm in my own bathroom and cannot get coverage in the previously mentioned areas.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
ZUKEYPR said:
If this is deemed not appropriate for this particular section than by all means move it. I wasn't sure. Cell phone contract is running out and I want to go with someone that I can get coverage while I am wheeling in Moab and 5 Mile pass Area. I currently have Sprint and it sucks. I go on roaming when I'm in my own bathroom and cannot get coverage in the previously mentioned areas.

tmobbile has coverage in both those areas. (good in Moab, okay in 5mp until you get up into the canyons)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
hmmmm

I was gonna say "don't try Tmobile.." heheh I'm using them and they rock nationwide but locally service is a little spotty.. for instance, if you are west of the chemical weapons depot there is zero coverage...

and I didnt' have any just north of the bend on 73, either...

your mileage may vary, my phone is 2yrs old too.

fonzisjeepn

when I had AT&t I got service in Moab. I was on double wammy one day and called back to Logan to find out what the best line was (apperently there isn't a easy line you either make it or break it.... :( :( ) With any other phone I have had trouble getting clear service in Moab. One more thing don't get the new GSM service it is not as good.

ZUKEYPR

fonzisjeepn said:
when I had AT&t I got service in Moab. I was on double wammy one day and called back to Logan to find out what the best line was (apperently there isn't a easy line you either make it or break it.... :( :( ) With any other phone I have had trouble getting clear service in Moab. One more thing don't get the new GSM service it is not as good.

What is GSM?

I am always on Roam in Moab, that is when i can get coverage, and I have sprint. You want somewhere that you can't get service; Moab, my bathroom, my office desk that I am sitting in here in West Valley, brighton Ski Resort, the Canyons, pretty much if I am not right on top of an interstate their is no hope. O'ya .5 miles outside of Wendover (No service). Sorry man...can you tell I bitter about sprint?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
fonzisjeepn said:

ATT GSM SUCKS!!!..... I have to admit that ATT has good coverage in the Moab area. I think Sprint is the only other carrier I have noticed that has equivilent coverage.

Cory

The non-GSM AT&T service is great for coverage. I can get service out in the middle of nowhere when other phones have long lost their signal. If you want service in BFE, then you need to have a dual signal phone and plan (i.e. Digital and Analog). I've heard others complain about AT&T customer service, but I've never had any problems with it and I've been with them for about 4 years.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
ZUKEYPR said:
What is GSM?

I am always on Roam in Moab, that is when i can get coverage, and I have sprint. You want somewhere that you can't get service; Moab, my bathroom, my office desk that I am sitting in here in West Valley, brighton Ski Resort, the Canyons, pretty much if I am not right on top of an interstate their is no hope. O'ya .5 miles outside of Wendover (No service). Sorry man...can you tell I bitter about sprint?

Thats wierd, Mine is fine. Phone shows rome, and I think in Moab it is on a verision tower, but I have never had a problem getting service. I have to switch to analog sometimes, but still good signal. Only place I have much trouble is 4500 S and about 3000 East.

Caleb

Cory said:
The non-GSM AT&T service is great for coverage. I can get service out in the middle of nowhere when other phones have long lost their signal. If you want service in BFE, then you need to have a dual signal phone and plan (i.e. Digital and Analog). I've heard others complain about AT&T customer service, but I've never had any problems with it and I've been with them for about 4 years.

Actually its not digital and analog its digital and GSM...analog is OLD technology, like the original cell phones.

Last time I went through Moab I didn't have service with T-mobile...but apparently they have some coverage now. A lot of it depends on your phone, ATT and Verizon have always been the best in Moab, out in the West Desert (5MP area) ATT has always had better coverage. Like Cory mentioned, the ATT non-GSM is the absolute best for coverage...I would have coverage while other providers (ATT GSM, Verizon, and T-mobile) hadn't had service for miles. This was while I was working on the Lake and out along the entire west shore of the lake. Right now I have T-mobile and for the buck they are pretty good, I dont have any problems around town like I used to ahve with ATT GSM...the downside to the non-GSM ATT is the lack of decent phones...

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Meat_Popsickle said:
Oh btw, ALWAYS get a tri mode phone, no matter what the salesman says.

I agree if you want coverage "everywhere" then make sure it is tri-mode (Analog, CDMA, TDMA) Just make sure if you get a plan that doesn't include analog roaming that you have your phone set not to automatically switch to it, or you could be using your phone in the valley and be roaming on analog ($$$$) and not even realize it...

GSM (att/cingular and tmobile) is great for those that dont get into the sticks very often, and need lots of minutes.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I used to have sprint and I was pretty happy with it--that is until I switched to Verizon and found out just how much better it could be. I only got analog roam with sprint in Moab (which I had to pay through the 'A' for), and there were lots of dead spots around town and around everywhere else. The customer service people were absolute assholes--I can't believe they can stay in business with as many unfulfilled promises I got and how many times they were rude to me both in person and over the phone.

Verizon gets digital service everywhere--well at least practically everywhere. All the way to Pheonix--digital (maybe lost it for like an hour). Moab--perfect, everywhere I go, perfect. There CS people rock too. I had problems getting my old number ported over--the call dropped while I was holding for the lady to check something. I was pissed--2 minutes later she called me back----she called ME back. With sprint I would have had to call back, have the call drop 2 more times, call back, argue that I had just called and talked to so-n-so, have them tell me that that person doesn't exist, have them tell me I'm a liar, transfer me around to 16 different departments, finally find someone that says they can help, then the call would drop and I'd have to start over.

Anyways, verizon is waaay better then my sprint service was. Just my experience though.

Cody

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Cody said:
I used to have sprint and I was pretty happy with it--that is until I switched to Verizon and found out just how much better it could be. I only got analog roam with sprint in Moab (which I had to pay through the 'A' for), and there were lots of dead spots around town and around everywhere else. The customer service people were absolute assholes--I can't believe they can stay in business with as many unfulfilled promises I got and how many times they were rude to me both in person and over the phone.

Verizon gets digital service everywhere--well at least practically everywhere. All the way to Pheonix--digital (maybe lost it for like an hour). Moab--perfect, everywhere I go, perfect. There CS people rock too. I had problems getting my old number ported over--the call dropped while I was holding for the lady to check something. I was pissed--2 minutes later she called me back----she called ME back. With sprint I would have had to call back, have the call drop 2 more times, call back, argue that I had just called and talked to so-n-so, have them tell me that that person doesn't exist, have them tell me I'm a liar, transfer me around to 16 different departments, finally find someone that says they can help, then the call would drop and I'd have to start over.

Anyways, verizon is waaay better then my sprint service was. Just my experience though.

Cody

I always laugh at these threads. Everyones experience is sooooo varied....I have had great service with sprint, but your story sounds just like my experiences with T-Mobile....I actually had a cs rep laugh when I ask to speak to a supervisor....

As for tri mode phones, thats what I use, but set to digi only in the valley and best signal when out in the boonies. The higher plans have no additional roaming charges, sooooo. Ang, me, and my mom share a plan of 2000 min for $120.

Meat_

Banned
The big 3 are basically no problem in the valleys, they all have a few small deadspots, so that's not a real issue.

As for the mountains, I tested AT&T, Sprint and Verizon 4 years ago. I had all 3 phones (top of the line phones) in the same places. Verizon was best. AT&T was a close 2nd, Sprint was laughable.

FYI, although it has been fixed now by a tower adjustment, AT&T had 0% signal in Eagle Mountain a shade over a year ago.

It IS a good idea to block out the analog on your tri mode (you can turn it back on when you aren't getting digi signal) because the analog tower's signal strength will spike and your phone will switch to the analog, then the signal will drop off and you will often lose your call before it can get back to digi, some phones are worse than other about doing that. Even if the analog doesn't cost you more, it still drains the battery a LOT faster.

Oh and Gephart did a test on them.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
FYI, the GSM service is now VERY good. Now that Cingular bought out AT&T they merged the networks and I have had fantastic service since. WAY better than my old AT&T account. I haven't tried Moab since I got this phone though.