Computer help. Adding hard-disk space.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Shane, you mention 'shadow copy' and DAA your mentioning using Paragon. I'm assuming there is more to it than putting the new drive in the USB enclosure. Plugging it in as a drive. Copy/pasting the entire contents of my hard-drive and then swapping? This is where things are fuzzy for me, it looks like a software is needed?

Yes. There are boot sectors that need to copy over and having the drive mirrored over perfectly will guarantee you won't have any issues. Copy & paste method works too, but only after you re-install the OS and all your programs back in place. Then you copy/paste all your files back. Shadow copying bypasses all of that, just makes an exact copy of your filesystem and MBR onto the new drive. :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes. There are boot sectors that need to copy over and having the drive mirrored over perfectly will guarantee you won't have any issues. Copy & paste method works too, but only after you re-install the OS and all your programs back in place. Then you copy/paste all your files back. Shadow copying bypasses all of that, just makes an exact copy of your filesystem and MBR onto the new drive. :cool:

Awesome, that clears things up. Thanks!

Caleb

Yep. I've got a 256GB 840 Pro in my main box and it's been working great. Very snappy performance.

Same one I have. I installed mine in my mac mini as a fusion drive using my original 500G drive as the over flow. Very nice setup, it tops out around 480 MB/s write and over 500 MB/s read. Not bad for a two year old mini :D.

DiskSpeedTest.jpg

theferg

DD for Life
Sounds like you've got enough opinions on which drive to do as a replacement. I personally haven't entered into the SSD realm just yet for my personal use, but at work we've got a few SSD Netapp NAS devices in our data centers. Those babies are screaming in the read and write department.

Anyway, Kurt, if you need somebody do to the transfer for ya, I'll do it for a 32 ouncer and some tacos (Del Taco works great). I've done this sorta thing hundreds of times and is part of what I do for a living. Lemme know.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Anyway, Kurt, if you need somebody do to the transfer for ya, I'll do it for a 32 ouncer and some tacos (Del Taco works great). I've done this sorta thing hundreds of times and is part of what I do for a living. Lemme know.

Deal. I'll order up a drive and ring you for some help. Do I need to track down the software or do you have something available?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
HUGE THANKS to BFerg for pulling the late shift with me and rocking out the drive swap. The data transfer was all his doing and it came off flawless. The physical drive swap was an absolute PITA but we pulled it off and didn't have any spare parts left over. I'm working away on it now. Thanks again Ben! :cool:

theferg

DD for Life
Any time brotha. And for everyone's enjoyment, here's some pics of Kurt nerding out on the laptop disassemble/reassemble.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393462905592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393462905592.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1393462916624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393462916624.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 17