concealed carry, Who has em and whatcha packin?

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
Glock 21 (Full size .45 ACP) But really like and am looking into a hammerless Ruger SP101. (.357)

I am 6'3, and at 250 pounds dont usually get bothered, especially not in Stansbury park ;) . I have been approached rather aggressively a number of times in the past in other cities, and have so far been able to convince whoever it was that they wanted to leave me alone. But there is always that chance.

With my carry rigs, no one knows I carry. I dont use a big oversized butt pack. I prefer waistband or in pant rigs, but do have a couple of Shoulder rigs as well.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Brett said:
Personally, I don't think that I ever will buy a weapon. I just don't see the need for it. There's no reason in my mind that I would ever need it, even with my daughter and family. Guess I am just not afraid. I dunno

There are two kinds of people: Those with with guns, and victims.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Herzog said:
All this talk about who's carrying what and why... point is, you should never reveal your weapon or remove it for any reason but to use it. I don't mind responible people packing concealed weapons, but keep it to yourself. There is no reason at all to try and be a show off with a weapon.

Does that include talking about it on this forum? I wouldn't recognize most of the people on here if I saw them in real life anyways. Talking about it isn't hurting anything. "Flashing" your concealed weapon can be considered brandishing and is against the law.

EZ

Caleb

Herzog said:
All this talk about who's carrying what and why... point is, you should never reveal your weapon or remove it for any reason but to use it. I don't mind responible people packing concealed weapons, but keep it to yourself. There is no reason at all to try and be a show off with a weapon.

I agree with that...there is no reason you can't talk guns...but concealed is concealed and as soon as someone knows you have it on you, its no longer concealed...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I carry a peace pipe and smoke it with whoever bothers me. Or maybe I carry peace pump and smoke whoever bothers me.

TexasTJ

Lift Laws Suck...
CHL between Tx/Ut?

Hey I've got the Glock 23 (40cal.), but I didn't want to get my Tx CHL, if it doesn't get recognized by Utah. Haven't had a chance to luck stuff up yet, just thought I'd see if anyone knew if Texas and Utah recognized eachothers CHL's?

Turbobob

Semper Fi
Right now, my carry weapon is a Springfield XD in 40 cal. My next purchase will be a Glock model 27 .40 cal. :D

V-DAWG

someday
shlingdawg said:
I would rather carry it everywhere I went and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Remember the incident at Chevy's Restaurant? All it would have taken is one citizen w/ his or her CCW to end an ugly situation.

Two very good points. The funny thing is, I heard there was a person with their concealed permit at Chevy's who chose not to use his weapon.

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, anyone who does not see a need to carry a gun is naive. I am glad you haven't had a bad experience yet, but the chance is there, and always will be. I would hate for you to be with your kids and not have a sufficient way to protect them.

I own a few guns, but my favorite is my Glock 27. I have 10 rounds available packed into a very concealable weapon.

I prefer .40 cal. I have shot at steel targets with a 9mm and a .40, and that is all the proof that I need that the .40 has much more punch than a 9mm. The steel targets will fall with a 9mm, but not all the time. There is never a time the targets didn't fall when hit with a .40. I have also seen specs that state the .40 has more force than the .45. There is not a nicer looking gun than the 1911's, but with a gun that size, I want more than 7 rounds. I also like the consitency of a Glock.

muleskinner

V-DAWG said:
I have also seen specs that state the .40 has more force than the .45.

Well, that depends on ALOT of things... What weight slug are you shooting? Are you talking about velocity, energy, momentum, drop, etc. The .40 is a great caliber but there are many as good if not better. I shoot the .357 Sig. (a .40 necked down to 9mm or .355 or .357 for that matter) The ballistics are the same with 125 gr. bullet as a .357 mag, in a lot shorter case. Either way they all kill ;) I also carry the Springfield XD. (12 in the clip, 1 in the hole.)

samizook

muleskinner said:
Well, that depends on ALOT of things... What weight slug are you shooting? Are you talking about velocity, energy, momentum, drop, etc. The .40 is a great caliber but there are many as good if not better. I shoot the .357 Sig. (a .40 necked down to 9mm or .355 or .357 for that matter) The ballistics are the same with 125 gr. bullet as a .357 mag, in a lot shorter case. Either way they all kill ;)
This is my choice as well ;) :D :eek:
I couldn't imagine picking up another hitcher and not being prepared :D

Last edited:

britney

Queen of Chit!!
V-DAWG said:
I hate to say it, but in my opinion, anyone who does not see a need to carry a gun is naive.

That's an awfully bold comment.
I think that people that feel they need to carry a gun are naive.
Just because you have one doesn't mean you are protected. In fact I feel that it's a false sense of security for some.

I think guns are important and do serve there purpose but to assume that people without them are less able to protect themselves or there families is rediculous. Each situation is different just like each person.

V-DAWG

someday
britney said:
That's an awfully bold comment.
I think that people that feel they need to carry a gun are naive.
Just because you have one doesn't mean you are protected. In fact I feel that it's a false sense of security for some.

I think guns are important and do serve there purpose but to assume that people without them are less able to protect themselves or there families is rediculous. Each situation is different just like each person.

First off, there is no assumption, if you don't have a gun you are less able to protect yourself than a person with an accessible gun.

You are right though, they can give a false sense of security, and it may even get you into more trouble than without one. There are police officers who are killed who never even pull the gun out of the holster.

I use the analogy of an insurance policy. What are the chances of needing all of the various insurances we carry? Why not just save the money each month rather than give it away? Because of the limited chance we may need it. Sure, for a while we could save the money, and get a nice amount into our savings, and even with routine check ups still be farther ahead than if we paid the company, but there is always the risk of the major illness or injury that will end up taking our house away.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Guns aren't going to solve every problem. They've become to me, what they should always have been: the last resort. Obviously, there are some situations where they are the ONLY resort, realisitically, but most times I think there are other solutions.
So you've got a carry permit. Do you practice drawing? It's not that easy to get a gun into action in a hurry if it's tucked away sometimes. Have you practiced 'clearing leather'? I know a lot of people who don't. Those skills dont' appear when you need them unless you have them to begin with.
Would you really be able to shoot someone? Ever see someone's brains? Or watch them bleed out while they beg to live? That's a little different than saying you're going to take care of business and who cares. (no, I'm not an assassin LOL, just been present at an unusual number of gory, fatal accidents). That's just the reality of it: pull the trigger, bullet hits someone, now what.
Are you going to be able to deal with the huge adrenaline dump most people get, the one that obliterates all your fine motor skills? After the first time, probably, but what if you screw that up? I had a guy break in my house thinking he was playing a trick on his buddy, wrong side of the building... and I nearly threw up from the adrenaline, couldn't sit still for an hour. That was unexpected.
And then after that? Have fun in court..! You can be sued by a bewildering number of parties if you're involved in a shooting, and so what if you were right. Lawyers dont' work for free! Luckily, UT seems to have some sense in that arena of legal wrangling.

If after all that you think it's a good idea, great! Welcome aboard. Point being that it's pretty serious to carry a gun. I'd be willing to deal with all of the above, but I also view a gun as the absolute last resort. And if it comes to that, I'm glad we live in a country that allows me to preserve myself, my family, the stranger in mortal danger, etc. etc.
Personally, I'm all for it, but I think everyone ought to know what they're getting into. I took my class from a UHP officer in Ogden, and he made us listen to a shootout, showed us pics of the aftermath of shootings, etc etc... and a couple people decided Mace or a dog might be a better choice for them.

oh yeah, I carry a Colt Delta Elite or more often a SigSauer P228 w/night sights. :greg:

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
i do not own a hand gun at the moment, and i do not feel like i need to carry all the time. however, i did opt to get my ccp before they outlawed them or made it so difficult or expensive that it would not be worth it. i feel very lucky that i have not had a situation where i thought i was in mortal danger, but i am not stupid enough to think that there is not the possibility. gun rights are being challenged just as much or more than trails. are we going to let the libs take away everything. if all my cop friends tell me it is wise to carry, then i think it is wise to carry. also, we are in a time of war and the drunks and druggies and hoodlums are not the only ones we have to worry about. what are you going to do when you are at the mall and terrorists come in trying to take everybody hostage? i for one hope that there are civillians that are ready and willing to protect our nation and our communities. whether you like it or not, utah is a prime target in a war. we have multiple military facilties in a small radius, and if this war is about Islam(no offense to any Islam people), this is the headquarters of the LDS church which "could" be viewed as a threat to Islam.

i am proud to be a gun owner. sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ahhhhh

so you don't believe that there is really an invisible barrier around UT that only white people and Mexicans can get through? Silly, silly boy.

I live near the Tooele Depot and know a lot of the people in charge over there, and have every confidence that security is pretty sharp. I'm not too worried about the big installations. ;)