Coyote Canyon - WE WON (sort of...)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I just got the word from BLM that Coyote Canyon will be re-opened, although there are some conditions and restrictions. I haven't seen the full documentation yet, so everything I am listing is unofficial as of right now, but the basics are as follows:
  • The trail must be reserved with the BLM in order to run it. You will need to get a permit (free) at the BLM office, and they will give you the combination to a locked gate at the trail.
  • Only seven rigs per day allowed.
  • It will be open on Friday and Saturday only, and will be closed for a couple of months during the winter.
  • We will need to install all of the signs, fences, gates and whatever as stipulated before the trail can be opened.
  • There will be a 30 day comment period before everything becomes official.
The full EA should be up on their website soon. Once we get it, and have time to figure everything out, I'll post more information.

Yes, I know this isn't everything we had hoped for, but at least we will have the opportunity to use the trail again even with the restrictions. I'm pretty sure we won't be able to get it open before EJS, but by this summer it should be good to go!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is some wacky restrictions. Are they permanent restrictions or is it some kind of probationary period?

Who came up with said restrictions?

Max Power

Bryce
I am happy it is opening but the restrictions are pretty limiting. My rig isn't built for that crazy of a trail anyways. It would be nice if they eased up on the restrictions so that more people could enjoy it.

Thank you for all your help getting the trail reopened.

Last edited:

zukijames

stupid restrictions are better than no trail at all!

i can see it looking real bad if people .. i can think of a few.. jeff probably knows who im thinking about..(no one in his group or associated with him by anymeans)
dont fallow the rules!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have never done coyote canyon, but I am really excited to give it a shot.

Thank you for all the work you and your club has done to make this happen. After wheeling with you guys last RME BBQ I knew if anyone could make it happen it was you guys.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If I were one of the people that didn't want this place open I would just reserve every permit every weekend. Even if I had to wake up and walk in my birkenstocks down there every saturday morning to do so.

Hopefully they will make a way to keep this from happening.

sixstringsteve

great work Jeff & co! you guys rock. It sounds like they're willing to think outside of the box and come up with creative solutions. Now if only we could make sure our community kept those rules. I predict that the combination will be told to friends and they'll tell their friends, etc until people just go run it whenever they want. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I like the idea of making sure the people wheeling it are responsible. This is a much better solution than closing it (but not as good as keeping it opn 24/7). Sounds like the appeal system works (in a weird, awkward way). Glad to see that our voice was heard!

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
That is some wacky restrictions. Are they permanent restrictions or is it some kind of probationary period?

Who came up with said restrictions?

Until I see the actual EA, I don't know anything more about the restrictions than what I posted. I'm sure they are permanent.

Sweet! Hopefully there is a way to rserve a permit in advance.

They said that there will be a way to reserve registrations online, but again, I'll have to wait till I see the EA.

Max Power

Bryce
Drtsqrl- Do you think the BLM would work with organized trail runs? This could open the trail up on busy weekends like the EJS so more than 7 people could enjoy it per day.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Personally, I think it's crap. I am so tired of seeing new mountain bike trails created everywhere with the BLM's blessing, but when we try to open a trail which was already established we have these ridiculously strict regulations. I don't think this is a compromise, I think it's a blatant slap in the face! For all of the hundreds of hours (literally!) of trail work and maintenance the Moab Friends for Wheelin’ do in cooperation and conjunction with the BLM, to be treated like this is ridiculous.

None of these restrictions were mentioned in the proposal, so where did they come from, and where is the precedent for such a strangling set of restrictions. I could see a locked gate with a reservation system, or a minimum per day, or use only on certain days, but all three of those together are a joke.

I am so disgusted with this decision. I think the BLM has given us a pile of crap to eat and said either eat it and like it, or don't, but that's all you get so just deal with it!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Dave, you bring up a very good point. Feels like they pretty much decided "they'll take anything they can get so let's make it ridiculously limited".

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
This is very similar to how Big Cypress National Preserve is handled. I've mentioned it a few times and peeps would get all angry with me but I warned that the system is already in place.

Kudos to everyone involved for acheiving this "re-opening"!

I certainly echo Dave's sentiments. Kind of a slap in the face considering all the hard work volunteers contribute to the area. That said, it's better than nothing. And the restrictions do have precedent. I suspect many of our future "victories" will have such strings attached.

Win one for cooperative management! Good job working within the system and gaining access (although restricted) for motorized recreation. Much better results than the "we don't like your system, we're not going to play" mentality.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think we should bombard the office with calls when the inevitable permits run out every week. Requestors would need to be cordial but ask about the permitting system. That'd likely result in trail closure again because they don't have the manpower to answer the phones?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Drtsqrl- Do you think the BLM would work with organized trail runs? This could open the trail up on busy weekends like the EJS so more than 7 people could enjoy it per day.

From what I know so far, "organized" and "commercial" groups will be able to use the trail, but the same restrictions will apply.

Personally, I think it's crap. I am so tired of seeing new mountain bike trails created everywhere with the BLM's blessing, but when we try to open a trail which was already established we have these ridiculously strict regulations. I don't think this is a compromise, I think it's a blatant slap in the face! For all of the hundreds of hours (literally!) of trail work and maintenance the Moab Friends for Wheelin’ do in cooperation and conjunction with the BLM, to be treated like this is ridiculous.

None of these restrictions were mentioned in the proposal, so where did they come from, and where is the precedent for such a strangling set of restrictions. I could see a locked gate with a reservation system, or a minimum per day, or use only on certain days, but all three of those together are a joke.

I am so disgusted with this decision. I think the BLM has given us a pile of crap to eat and said either eat it and like it, or don't, but that's all you get so just deal with it!

I don't like all of the restrictions either, but it is FAR better than losing the trail totally. I for one will reserve judgement untill I see the EA. (BTW, the website with the supposed EA is down right now.)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I believe that it is better than nothing, I really appriciate everything you guys have done to get it re-opened, I think we should take advantage of having it re-opened and in the meantime give them no reason or excuse to not give us the trail back... follow the rules and continue to petition them to open it up without such choking restrictions...repectfully, but with focused intensity....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I also want to say THANK YOU to the MFFW crew who put a lot of work into getting it this far. You guys deserve a huge pat on the back. We are indebted to you!