Craigslist is now charging $5 per vehicle ad

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So my JK for sale ad on CL expired and when I went to renew, I see that they're charging people $5 per vehicle ad! I read something about it awhile ago and I think they're trying to filter out the junk/crap and less serious sellers. This is going to be an interesting change for CL, makes me wonder what it will do to their traffic.... less listings means less potential buyers. And it's not like there aren't plenty of places out there where you can list vehicles for free.

In the end, I have not paid to relist my Jeep.... yet.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Facebook is eating away at the other classified sites, Craigslist has never been somewhere I go to look at stuff for sale...

I honestly had no idea Facespace had ads. Do people even still use Facespace?
I only look at CL if I'm looking out of Utah for something. When I was looking for my Kizashi, I used Search Tempest to scour CL listings all across the US and ended up finding what I was looking for in Seattle. I feel like KSL makes CL pointless in Utah, but you can still find great stuff on CL elsewhere.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I honestly had no idea Facespace had ads. Do people even still use Facespace?
I only look at CL if I'm looking out of Utah for something. When I was looking for my Kizashi, I used Search Tempest to scour CL listings all across the US and ended up finding what I was looking for in Seattle. I feel like KSL makes CL pointless in Utah, but you can still find great stuff on CL elsewhere.
FaceSpace is one of those if you look enough, for long enough, you might find it. (you might not find it tomorrow because it sucks at times) ;) I actually found my last set of tires for my truck on facebook. To make it worthwhile you got to belong to the right groups when opportunity shows up. Your neighborhood page might seem like a waste of oxygen but when Mrs Kravitz decides to clear out her late husbands old suzuki collection for pennies it may seem worthwhile. I was actually looking for a set of 17" rims so I could by Mesha's tires when I found a set mounted for the same price.

KSL has made Craigslist pointless in UT, but I've still sold a truck on CL in UT. When KSL decided guns were bad it didn't take long to fill the vacuum and you got sites like https://utahgunexchange.com/ I think a lot of the other TV stations have toyed with classified but either given up or not had the interest to make them big.

The_Lobbster

Coming from a state besides Utah, (from Nebraska) CL is a huge thing in other states. When I moved here, I was shocked at how hardly anybody uses it at all here. I think the $5 thing sucks, but anybody who is selling a car for $2k+ that actually has an interest in listing it, won't be missing much on just $5. Hopefully it helps put a damper to all the stupid scammers out there.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
$5 is nothing though. I'm often surprised by how resistant people can be to paying even a few bucks to sell their vehicles. For me, I'd gladly pay if it improved my chances of selling. I'm biased though ;)

I also think CL sucks (a lot) and that's part of the reason I do what I do. I bet this weeds out a lot of trash on there and makes it a better place though.

FB Marketplace has taken some of the market share for sure but I don't think it's all that drastic. I also don't find it very user friendly and I get random notifications that stuff is being sold in Eagle Mountain all the time. I don't know why...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Their algorithms aren't very good but I use it all the time because of the shear volume, it's a lot of wading through garbage sometimes but it's huge.

I think you'd be surprised at how much marketshare Facebook Marketplace has taken over from CL and KSL.
Look it up. It's VERY substantial.