Crawling basics 101 youth activity feeler

crawler dude12

Tonight we had a youth planning meeting, and most everyone has shown interest in learning more about what I like to do. So, I put out an idea that I could see if anyone would be interested in giving the youth a simple explanation about rock crawling. Show them your rigs, and depending on if you feel like it, take a few youth out crawling around... The youth would have a camp out Friday and Saturday at little Moab, and I think if you guys that are interested wanted to show up Saturday morning we would provide breakfast.

I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone would be interested.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ricsrx

if the schedule fits i would be in, set it up for NPLD weekend and get two birds with one stone!

ID Bronco

I did this about four years in a row with our young men. Our local club came out and the kids absolutely loved it. I still have boys (now 17) bring it up to me. Good for you!

Pile of parts

Great opportunity for the kids. We took the Varsity Scouts in my area to Moab last summer for their High Adventure Activity. They were somewhat excited about it prior to going. I don't think they really knew what to expect. Now they won't quit talking about it. Now I have parents mad at me because all the kids want rockcrawlers. Our activities vary every year and we always base it off the boy's input. The point to me is to expose them to new activities or activities they might not get the chance to do again. Sorry, long way of saying I'd be glad to help and have friends that would too. Let us know. I need to resolve a problem with my front end. I think I lost a Detroit. (GM Dana 60 - 35 spline 5.38 if anyone has one)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Also in if the schedule fits. I could come show them what bad driving looks like. If they're lucky they could see how to replace axle shafts :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This is a great idea, and I applaud you for wanting to pull it off. However, showing up on a Saturday morning will be virtually impossible for me. If you did the 'wheeling on Friday evening, I might be able to make it... depending on the date... but don't arrange the entire trip just for me. (I mention this only in case everyone else is in the same boat as me... unlikely.)

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Also in if the schedule fits. I could come show them what bad driving looks like. If they're lucky they could see how to replace axle shafts :)
What ever Nate. :bow:Your a great driver. Cherokee do make it look easy though so maybe that it. Your right they might be able to see how to replace a broken shaft.:D

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would love to help.

We did an activity out at little moab with the scouts. We taught them some of the basics and took them for rides. Then we set up cones and had them guide the drivers(adults) through the course to see what they won. We had prizes for the boy that did the best job of spotting.

blznnp

I agree with kmboren, I havnt seen you struggle ever. Now if I came, they would get good experience with fixing something.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The jeep does all the work guys, I promise.

I would love to help.

We did an activity out at little moab with the scouts. We taught them some of the basics and took them for rides. Then we set up cones and had them guide the drivers(adults) through the course to see what they won. We had prizes for the boy that did the best job of spotting.

That's a killer idea to set up a mini-comp for fun.

I'm typically up for letting kids that promise not to panic and always listen drive my rig as long as I'm sitting shotgun. It's nothing special but it usually makes them smile. When I was a leader it was for 11 y/o's and they didn't get to do fun stuff like this

crawler dude12

Cool, I will talk to my dad and see if we can get a date planned out, thank you guys for your willingness to help! It means a lot!

crawler dude12

Sorry old post. Last year did not go as planned. So I'm just posting ahead. We are planning on doing this activity in the beginning of August. Please let me know if you can make it the first or second weekend of August. Thanks for your help!

rustyoljeep

Soon to be Flinstoning it
I don't have a spectacular rig, or a whole lot of wheeling prowess as of yet, but I'd be more than willing to talk and show off a bit!

blznnp

As long as my rig is running I would love to help. Took some of our youth on a campout and had a few rigs there out at five mile and they loved it. Especially since Nate let them drive up Waynes world