Crows

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Aren't the bigger birds we have around here Ravens? Either way, I'd like to know the answer to the question. :)

D

Deleted member 12904

R657-3-7. Nuisance Birds, Porcupine, Striped Skunk, and Squirrel.

(1)(a) A person is not required to obtain a certificate of registration or a federal permit to kill American Crows or Black-billed Magpies when found committing, or about to commit, depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance, provided:

(i) none of the birds killed pursuant to this section, nor their plumage, are sold or offered for sale; and

(ii) any person killing American Crows or Black-billed Magpies shall:

(A) allow any federal warden or conservation officer unrestricted access over the premises where American Crows or Black-billed Magpies are killed; and

(B) furnish any information concerning the control operations to the division or federal official upon request.

(b) A person may kill American Crows or Black-billed Magpies by any means, excluding bait, explosives or poison, and only on or over the threatened area.

(c) American Crows and Black-billed Magpies killed pursuant to this section shall be collected immediately and must be disposed of at a landfill that accepts wildlife carcasses or must be buried or incinerated.

(d) This subsection incorporates Section 50 CFR 21.42 and 21.43, 2002, ed., by reference.

(2)(a) A person may capture, transport, and kill or release a nuisance American porcupine, striped skunk, or Red squirrel without obtaining a certificate of registration.

(b) A nuisance American porcupine, striped skunk, or Red squirrel may be released only as follows:

(i) within 48 hours of capture;

(ii) within the county in which it was captured; and

(iii) in a location where it does not pose a risk to human health or safety, or create other conflict with humans, agriculture, or other animals.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/education/newsletters/01spring-gw.pdf

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
(b) A person may kill American Crows or Black-billed Magpies by any means, excluding bait, explosives or poison, and only on or over the threatened area.

This is interesting.. does it negate city ordinances?

rholbrook

Where are they and where is my shot gun.
Pellet gun, come to my house. I was in Wyoming Saturday and they were all over there as well. Its good to know that they are nuisance birds. :) I have told my son he can't shoot them but I am going to rescind that order starting at 3 pm when he gets home from school.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Starlings are the worst. When I was a kid we had a whole flock live in our tree for a week. I picked them off one-by-one. I know I feed a lot of stray neighborhood cats. So I'm sure I was doing a good deed.

Houndoc

Keep in mind most of what we have around here are ravens, not crows!

And ravens are listed on the protected species list linked about. Best to put the guns down....

DAA

Supporting Member
I don't see many crows around here. See tons of ravens.

It's not legal to have fun with ravens. Not without having your shit in the right pile anyway. If you do have your shit in the right pile, the gov't will pay you to kill ravens. Nevada, in particular, has a hard on for killing ravens. Have to have your shit in the right pile though, can't just go out and have fun at random. But one of my buddies spent several winters in the employ of the state of Nevada planting poisoned chicken eggs to kill as many ravens as he possibly could. Nevada has switched strategy from trying to kill them to trying to deny them sustenance. The truckers on board have no doubt noticed how much less road kill is being left to the birds on I-80 through Nevada this year.

Good luck killing very many with any type of firearm though. Ravens are some of the smartest crittters I have ever messed with. They live a very long time. They learn to recognize a firearm. They are quite susceptible to certain sounds though...

- DAA

Rock Taco, Our family was watching that Ravens vs Crows video a while back. The kids love picking out the differences now!

No kidding about Ravens being smart. I've seen a Raven out at delicate arch waiting til tourists walk away and then opening their backpacks to steal their snacks.

roverrocks

JEEPS___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is it just my imagination or are there more jeeps than there were 5 or 10 years ago? Is it legal to have some fun with them?

sixstringsteve

Is this a raven or a crow?

[video=youtube;OWnAqXCUzLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWnAqXCUzLI[/video]

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If you are just looking for something to shoot I can hook you up this spring with some rock chucks, they have taken over the side of one of my dad's fields in Cache Valley. The rock chucks are definitely a pest and hurting crop production. Something like a 22 or 17hmr, a bipod, and a bucket of bullets would be ideal.