CSC RX3 Cyclone (California Scooter Company) Adventure Bike

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone else been following the CSC adventure bike? CSC is selling "high quality" Chinese motorcycles (yes, I'm skeptical too) that's being sold in the States with some very nice parts like Delphi EFI, a 6 speed transmission, HID lights, digital dashboard, etc. They're great looking bikes IMO. It's a little water cooled 250 with a single overhead cam that has a top speed of 83 MPH and weighs 383 pounds. The RX3 Cyclone has a 4.2 gallon tank and the little 250 gets over 70 MPG. I'm sure it's no powerhouse by any means, but looks like it has potential as a entry level beginner adv bike.

The bike costs $3,500 and it does come with a 2 year warranty and there are a handful of options far as luggage, etc.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/category-s/108.htm

ZRX3-W-4.jpg

watch

It'll be interesting to hear how these things are holding up over time and see if they're worth considering.

boogie_4wheel

Interesting... Thanks for the links!

This could make a good entry level bike, and great for around town or instate touring (nevermind that guy riding the CRF250L to Alaska). I think the more experienced riders would benefit from the KTM390A that I read about awhile back, or the KLR650 for a similar price (if buying used). I'm afraid that most would be able to out-ride the RX3's abilities.

Nice price for a loaded ready-to-go adv.
Since a friend of mine got a KLX650C, he is all about the adv/farkles. I've already been wanting to trade the VTX for a real adv, but am outfitting the XR4 to do some longer range overnight stuff.

Joe Berk

Joe Berk here. I write the blog for CSC and lead the company's adventure tours.

I invite you to read our blog. It's at www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog.

If you have any questions, please ask.

[video=youtube;WY1cE7tAi6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY1cE7tAi6c[/video]

Joe Berk

Another video...we recently completed a 5000-mile ride through the western US on these bikes. One of our guests from China put this video together.

[video=youtube;Q6ctct-_bRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q6ctct-_bRU[/video]

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Very cool Joe! Welcome to RME and thanks for sharing the video's, I'll check them out!

Are they any dealers in Utah or Colorado? I'd love to see a RX3 in person.

Joe Berk

Very cool Joe! Welcome to RME and thanks for sharing the video's, I'll check them out!

Are they any dealers in Utah or Colorado? I'd love to see a RX3 in person.

Greg, we don't sell through dealers for many reasons, the most significant being that we could not sell the bikes for $3495 if we used dealers.

We just passed through both Utah and Colorado on our recent 5000-mile Western America Adventure Ride. We have bikes in both states; if your interest is serious give us a call at 909 445 0900 on Monday and we will hook you up with someone in your state who has one.

Thanks for your interest.

[video=youtube;MWSLMi2x1Uo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWSLMi2x1Uo[/video]

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Joe Berk, I have noticed that most Chinese made bikes are in the 250cc category. Is there a reason for this? I would think this same bike with a 500 cc engine would be more desirable to the masses.

Joe Berk

That's a good observation, Samurai. There is a reason, and it depends on what you define as the masses (and what those masses buy). The US and parts of Europe are really the only places in the world that think 700-lb, 36-inch seat heat, 1300cc to 2300cc motorcycles are somehow normal. In most of the rest of the world, a 150cc motorcycle is actually a large bike. Zongshen's largest market (and others) is in the 100cc to 125cc range, and they sell most of their bikes in Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East. Primarily for marketing reasons, the Big 4 and Harley have driven us in the US toward ever larger motorcycles, which is really pretty silly when you take a step back and look at things logically. Zongshen makes a million motorcycles a year and 4,000 engines a day (they sell engines to other manufacturers). They, and the rest of the world, view a 250 as a very large bike.

I wrote a blog about a year ago on what a guy whom I respect greatly (a BMW dealer) thought was the ideal size for an adventure touring motorcycle. Here's that story:

Why a 250?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I would love to through a leg over one of these. I've been wanting something similar for a while.

Most Chinese bikes have a very distinctive 'cheap' feel to them.
This one appears to be quite a bit better than the old 'Yamato's'.. But I am still skeptical of long lasting quality

GregRX3

I got my RX3 in May and have about 500 miles on it. My first bike in 25 years. Great fun!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Why wouldn't you just say what parts of Utah? Sounds a little like the KSL phishing emails I get. I think you would get better response Joe Berk if you were more forthcoming with info.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Why wouldn't you just say what parts of Utah? Sounds a little like the KSL phishing emails I get. I think you would get better response Joe Berk if you were more forthcoming with info.

Probably because those bikes are privately owned and arranging for individuals to go look at them offline is much preferred to just posting addresses of their customers.

boogie_4wheel

Probably because those bikes are privately owned and arranging for individuals to go look at them offline is much preferred to just posting addresses of their customers.

That's what I'm thinking too. Some random guy is going to have 20 people wanting to come over and see his Chinese bike, wanting to sit on it, ride it, ask a ton of questions, drink his beer, hit on his daughter... It's going to be the most fun he had all year.