cummins th400 in fsj

401fsj

my 79 cherokee has a quadracrap behind a th400 and a 401. I have a np205 and a 203 im thinking about dubbling. I just am wondering if anyone has seen a cummins in an fsj or with a th400. is this possible and if it is would i really wont to? would i just kill the tranny?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Which Cummins? 4BT, 6BT? Lots of 4BT's in Jeeps of all sizes, I've never seen a 6BT in a FSJ, but I've seen one in a LandCruiser so it would have to fit (within reason) in a FSJ

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
6bt's are a VERY tight fit in an FSJ, and doubly so if you plan on running an intercooler.

You will need a GM case to bolt to the Cummins, and the adapter. There are 4bt's from bread trucks w/the adapter, and a TH475 (usually). They're 2wd, so add whatever GM transfer case you want when you get it rebuilt. :D

Get the money ready, too.

401fsj

as far as space it would not be a big deal to me to cut up the fire wall to fit. i may have prematurely asked this question. i was just thinking about the 5.9. im assuming thats the 6bt and the 4 banger is the 4bt just a guess. I have never heard of that before. so what years and kinds of trucks should i be looking for?

red

4bt-3.9L 4cyl turbo diesel. came in box trucks (UPS, FedEx, bread trucks, etc) bolted to either a gm auto or the ford 5 speed manual. th400, th475, and 4L80E were the gm auto tranny's used. motor was also used in oilfield applications and some construction equipment. very reliable motor, basicly the 12 valve cummins 6bt with 2 cylinder chopped off.

12 valve 6bt-5.9L 6 cylinder used in (i think) 1990-1997 dodge 2500-3500 diesel pickups. extremely easy to build up this motor just like the 4bt because of the mechanical injection. simple, reliable, and powerfull. also in some oilfield/construction equipment.

24 valve 6bt-5.9L 6 cylinder used in 98-07 dodge pickups. electronic injection so requires a computer. little more prone to problems then its 12 valve predecessor but still an excellent motor.

red

the 6bt is LONG, to get it to fit in a FSJ you will probably have to locate the intercooler outside the engine bay along with the ac condesor and tranny cooler if your going with an auto.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Their is also a 6AT Cummins, 6 cylinder inline, but much shorter than the 6BT (much smaller displacement accordingly).

Their is a ton of info out there on the 4BT, lots of guys swapping them into wheeling rigs. Check out http://www.4btswaps.com for more info than one can handle, 4BT, Isuzu, 6BT, etc. :D

Moon

I have been looking in to this seriously my self. Personally, I want the 12v 6bt in the wagy so I can tow, commute and crawl. If I already had a good tow rig I would want to go with the 4bt. More than enough power and even better fuel mileage. I have been going to ask one of the venders or someone that needs some cash what they would charge to hook me up.

Last edited:

401fsj

I have been talking to some people and trying to learn more. it doesnt sound like i can go wrong with the swap. just the crap from people saying why go from 6.6 to 3.9. thats easy gas prices, milage, dependability, and i saw a video of a 4bt hummer in tug of wor with a powerstroke. you can guess who won and who broke. keep the thoughts comming. thanks

401fsj

i will consider selling or traiding the 401 for 4bt stuff if anyone is interested. good for my fun and funds i probly wont do anything tell fall. i will be busy and mosty gone fighting fire for the summer.