Daily driver decisions

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Its almost time for my wife to get a new daily driver so she doesnt have to keep driving the JK. We have narrowed it down to the Jeep Grand cherokee SRT8 or the Chevy Trailblazer SS. Both are 400 horse out of the box and both are good looking. Does anybody have any insight on either vehicle....

I am a sucker for an LS engine, what do you guys think?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Nothing specific other than I've never driven a factory rig where I liked the way the power came on compared to an LS...but like you I'm a sucker for anything LS.

STAG

If it were me? I'd take the GC over the trailblazer. And although I have no experience of the SS trailblazer, other than losing to one at a stop-light race, I'd still take the SRT-8. I really didn't lose by "that much" to the SS.

but most of my decision comes from style alone. I love the pre 2014 GC's. (WK's?) I think they are the best looking Grand Cherokee out there, and with awesome comfortable interiors.

Last edited:

skeptic

Are you looking for the fastest one, or just an SUV with plenty of power? Given those two possibilities I'd go with the GC, but I'd also take a serious look at a Tahoe LTZ or Yukon Denali - those also come with ~400hp.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Not looking for fastest just something fun to drive, The tahoe and yukon are to big for me I would like to keep with the smaller SUV

rholbrook

Personally, I like the GC SRT8, always have but I would bet the SS gets better gas mileage and in the long run would not only be cheaper to own but to hop up as well.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Personally, I like the GC SRT8, always have but I would bet the SS gets better gas mileage and in the long run would not only be cheaper to own but to hop up as well.

Both Vehicles will remain 100% stock the 1-2 MPG difference in the 2 is not enough to influence my decision. I like that the SRT8 has a 5 speed auto where the trailblazer only has a 4 speed. I do agree with the cost of ownership and repairs being much cheaper on the trail blazer.

I honestly think I like the drivetrain of the Trail blazer but the looks and interior of the SRT

rholbrook

Both Vehicles will remain 100% stock the 1-2 MPG difference in the 2 is not enough to influence my decision. I like that the SRT8 has a 5 speed auto where the trailblazer only has a 4 speed. I do agree with the cost of ownership and repairs being much cheaper on the trail blazer.

I honestly think I like the drivetrain of the Trail blazer but the looks and interior of the SRT

Agree on the looks of the GC. They are soooo cool looking

Troop92

Dang, man. My idea of a "daily driver" differs greatly from yours. Perhaps I've been going about my search all wrong, why would I want an Accord when I could have a GC-SRT8?

I would go GC, due to better brakes, suspension, transmission, and d44 rear. And better safety scores.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I was driving my 2003 GTI close to the 130 mph in desert outside of Vegas, and was passed with authority by a SS Blazer. Ever since then I have had much respect for them.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I would go with the SRT8 just because TB's just don't do it for me. It's not a "jeep thing", just a style thing.

So you're getting Heather a new DD and still keeping the maroon school bus?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Yeah the rock bus is staying its just not the best daily driver being on 37s and all plus if I retire it from DD status I will put 40s on it. I like the tow rating of the Trailblazer its robust enough I could haul my pro mod with it. But I have a one ton cummins so I dont need it to tow but the option might be nice

RockChucker

I'm with the ss on this debate. I bet it gets more than a couple mpg better. And like you said. It's a ls motor. Hemis are cool. Ls is cooler. Or do it the hard way and get a grand and put an ls in it :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you get the SRT8, you'll make Bob really jealous. Does that influence your decision?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^I like this deal that Gravy mentioned (with me of course) or you should do the obvious right thing and get a Bronco II