Dana 35 Breakage pics

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
that graymare guy is a jackass... monkey is telling him who is boss though! keep up the good work.
man i feel like an idiot defending my d44, i feel sorry for that guy!

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Actually he is quite a class act from what I can tell. Just old and set in his ways.

I am glad RockMonkey is there to show them the light though. Not many people KNOW what they are talking about. I don't claim to know a lot but I can hold my own when it comes to good parts on Crawlers.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
EZRhino said:
This is a good thread to ask this question. Let's say you break your axle....the splined end is still in the carrier. (It could be a Dana 35, 44, 60, whatever...) How do you get the broken off end out of the carrier? I mean on the trail? Generally do you have to pull the carrier and get it out that way? Let's say you carry a spare rear axle on the trail. Pulling your carrier in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like much fun to me. I thought I'd heard of someone putting a strong magnet on a stick and pulling out the end that way, but I can't confirm that that would work.

EZ
I broke the shaft on my old 43 MB once... when it broke the axle actually twisted before it snapped... so with the twist I had to take the carrier out and beat on that piece to get it out backwared... I had to take the carrier apart completely to include the ring gear. Thankfully it was a full floater axle and I was able to make it out with just the front wheel driven!

Usually when they brake they twist and expand...

Hope that helps you out!

John