Dana 44 ID help

The_Lobbster

I got this axle given to me. I’m pretty sure it’s from a ‘70s Ford, it’s a 5 lug, assuming 5x5.5, but can’t seem to find any exact similar ones on google.

Anybody able to recognize this from these couple pix? Cover seems to indicate D44. I *think*, this is a passenger drop? And it’s just upside down on the trailer.

I will take some more pictures later.

IMG_4150.jpeg
IMG_4149.jpeg

1969honda

Supporting Member
Knuckles definitely look upside down. You can kind of see the flat top on the far knuckle. Spring perches should be on top as well.

Best way I can think of to ID would be pull a spindle off. 5 lug or 6 lug will tell you real quick.

The_Lobbster

5 lug pass drop is kinda odd. Center is D44. Could be chevy D44 with ford outers.
I’m wondering if it’s a bastard, came from an auto shop class.

Also wondering if possibly an old Dodge unit, circa early 80’s or 70’s too. I’ll get more pix and measurements later.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I’m wondering if it’s a bastard, came from an auto shop class.

Also wondering if possibly an old Dodge unit, circa early 80’s or 70’s too. I’ll get more pix and measurements later.
I always forget about the dodge factor. That could be it... I'm not familiar with 1/2 ton dodge lug patterns. Are they 5 lug?

Edit - a clue might be in how the brake caliper is mounted.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yep, I bet that's a dodge d44 now. A quick search shows matching swaybar mount tabs

axels-025b-jpg.428491
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 9.54.34 AM.png

The_Lobbster

Early to mid 80’s dodge 1/2 ton, the late 70’s was 5x4.5 with the unit hub. This one was with the 208 transfercase, the unit hub was a 203
Appreciate your input. I'm wondering if this would be a decent axle to build up for my Suzuki to eventually swap in if/when my IFS fails.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
IIRC the 5x4.5 unit bearings are the main weirdness. But this one looks like it has "normal" Ford-ish outers on it? So maybe the inner C's are standard 44 stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Is passenger drop what you need for your Zuk?

The_Lobbster

IIRC the 5x4.5 unit bearings are the main weirdness. But this one looks like it has "normal" Ford-ish outers on it? So maybe the inner C's are standard 44 stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Is passenger drop what you need for your Zuk?
Yeah, pass drop. I've been scouring around looking for a wagoneer narrow track 44 but haven't came across anything yet. I want to keep the IFS for now, but get a solid axle ready to eventually swap in.