General Tech Dana Axle Identification

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So this is for a customer in South America. He is looking to swap 4.88's into his current axles, underneath an FJ73 (a non US Land Cruiser truck).

Toyota did use Dana 60's under some of their non-US applications, so I'm fairly confident its a 60. However what are your thoughts on the pinion flange an related splines? This setup uses a standard Toyota flange versus a yoke. Anyone think that could be an issue with US spec gears? Like maybe Toyota used a different spline count at the pinion??

Attachments

• Cardan FJ73 001.jpg
    Cardan FJ73 001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Cardan FJ73 003.jpg
    Cardan FJ73 003.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 13

chans

I would think it would be a normal D60 with a flange drilled for the Toyota pattern. He should pull the flange off and measure it and count the splines to be sure.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That's pretty cool. What axle would it have in the front--typical 70 series 8"?

It's hard to say without looking at the pinion first hand. Others will chime in, but when it comes to gear sets D60's seem to be pretty standard it seems. If there is an issue with the spline count for whatever reason you could always use one of these http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Toyota-Drive-Line-To-Dana-44-60-300-Flange-p-18775.html and run the standard gear set.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes, in the 40 Series they would have had the standard 9.5" diff, in this 73 it has the high pinion 8" diff. They are quite rare by all standards and thus there is little information about the Dana 60 they used. Given all the odd ball Dana stuff out there I just don't want to tell this guy to tear it down not knowing if I can supply him the gearset.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd bet money that it is a Toy-specific set of gears and pinion flange much like the Land Rover "salsbury" axles (they were Dana 60s also, but have little parts interchangeability with common 60s.)

What does your Aussie ARB contact say?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
You could always find the BOM # (if it is a Dana axle, it should have one stamped on the back of one of the axle tubes) and look it up that way...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd bet money that it is a Toy-specific set of gears and pinion flange much like the Land Rover "salsbury" axles (they were Dana 60s also, but have little parts interchangeability with common 60s.)

What does your Aussie ARB contact say?

This axle wasn't used in Aussie, only in South America, so they don't have too much data on the actual ring and pinion, just the locker (RD21 & RD22 depending on carrier split) which is the same as a standard 30 spline D60 variation.

B

backwoodsgoop

Dana 60

A Dana 60 in a Toyota cool, spline count on the pinion would have to be the same simply because a whole lot easier to replicate a flange rather than re-tool and build a compleatly different pinion For a Toyota, and of course whats in the Frt? Would it be a Dana as well? hmm this is very interesting.