Delta's New Helldorado and Hells Backbone

EB101

Many thanks to Craig Stumph and his son for once again sharing their spectacular trails with us. Saturday morning they met up with us at the Delta Proving Grounds (at the Fair Park). Our group was comprised of 5 Broncos and 2 Jeeps. From there we trailered to the trail head just past the IPP site. At the trail head there was a giant cement culvert, too small to turn around in but big enough to nearly tip Craig’s jeep over as it stretched like a runner to warm up for the first trail.

New Helldorado was the first trail. It’s probably rated around 7 of 10. We were told to expect big rocks, tight spots and body damage. And so it began. Rocks and steps over 2 feet, a number of tight spots where I was glad I still have stock width axles and of course, the rock sliders.

We knew the trail would test Keith’s mostly stock rig with its open diffs but he opted to drive it until he got stuck. He did real well but eventually the trail got the best of him and his stock 28 spline rear end gave up. I happened to catch it on this video.

At that point Keith climbed in B-Rad’s bright red CJ7 for more fun.

As the trail went on it got more technical and the overhangs got tighter. Eventually at the top of the trail there was a steep and slippery rock hill that my rear locker refused to lock for. To make it worse my t-case linkage was rubbing hard enough to disengage the front. We winched me out and at that point I jumped into Fred with Carl for the next trail, Hell’s Backbone.

No sooner did we get started up Hell’s Backbone, Brent got tired of his gorgeous narrowed Bronco heating up and we left it there with the others and now we were down to four rigs.

This trail turned out to be a test for the best. It’s probably a 9 of 10. Steps around three feet, holes that could swallow a Subaru, and trees and rock out croppings that were guaranteed to decorate body panels. Of course I had to ask Carl how far Fred could tip before it rolled. That’s all it took, next thing I knew we were on our side.

That night after a fun day on the trail we camped over at the Proving Grounds parking lot and the next morning all that were left was Keith and I. We opted to take a few minutes to play on the rock crawling course. My finicky locker started working again. Of course it doesn’t help much when you turtle up on big rocks. Hey the trusty old 8274 came in handy yet again. As soon as we got off the rocks we took one trip across the teeter totter and over the logs then headed for home.

Here's a few teaser pics that I took.

P1010678.jpg

P1010679.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010684.jpg

P1010687.jpg

P1010696.jpg

P1010698.jpg

P1010699.jpg

There's a bunch of great pics that Keith took here on the Sexton Offroad site
http://sextonoffroad.com/home/forum_index.php?page=viewthread&threadid=230 .

The Utah Bronco Club does a number of trail rides and events every year. We're not fussy about what you drive, feel free to join us.

-Steve

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I love those trails also. Been a couple years. I didn't see any backbone pics until I clicked on the link. Looks like fun

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Not in the past.... but I would be down for a little trail running...

I am trying to figure out how to get there and a trail ride would be a good excuse. I do have something going on Saturday, that I might have to bail on.

I have run a couple of trails down there. It seems like I ran Cat Canyon with you... :D

B-RAD

Steve nice write up again that was a great day! Brent and I went out to 5 mole yester day to see if he fixed his over heat problem. Not yet then he broke an ox joint and a chromo shaft on eagles nest.
Dirty Hary; what do you want to know about old yeller Ihelp with the build and could answer alot of questions about it or I can hook you up with Brent who owns it. I don't know if he lurks around here or not.

B-RAD

Oh and by the way would anyone be interested in puchasing a set of 39.5X13.50X17 iroks

Attachments

• UBC Delta 03-2010 102 (Medium).jpg
    UBC Delta 03-2010 102 (Medium).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 23

brikar

looks like a fun rocky trail. How long is this trail? Are the pictures typical of the entire trail? Is the location protected or can someone give me some coordinates or directions? Is it a round trip trail or an up and back? We have been out there before and had a great time on Cat Canyon. We are thinking about coming out and hitting Cat Canyon and Chainsaw and now I see a third trail in addition to the fair grounds, so I am getting excited about getting down there. Speaking of the fair grounds is it open to the public or do you need to get permission from someone or group to get in there and mess around?