General Tech Detroit Diesel Swap?

4x-Kota

Hey there everyone,
I'm only thinking "out loud" here, but what would be your opinion of a trail rig with a Detroit 2-stroke Diesel engine in it? I only ask because I know that there were many engine sizes both naturally-aspirated and turbo charged, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 inline; 6, 8, 12, 16 "v".

In my mind, you could easily swap in a I4 turbocharged diesel into a wrangler or other "small" vehicle and command loads of torque despite having to "drive-like-ya-stole-it" on the trails. This driving style would only be there so that you can stay on top of the power curve.
Now I understand the weight difference is pretty substantial of any diesel compared to a similar sized gas engine, but the value of torque in many situations is, well, priceless. I have found both I6 and a V6 versions of the engine, used, for relatively cheap and I know the approximate weights of both engines (1 US Ton). The I6 is 2185 lbs and the V6 is 2010 lbs. Both engines make the exact same power figures.

Just for "laughs" this is how I would utilize the engine.
1. Buy a cheap, used full-size truck (only for the frame)
2. Sell off all of the parts to fund the build
3. Purchase some Rockwell 2.5 tons, tranny (probably gonna be a re-geared 3-spd so the gears are extremely low range, if possible), 2-spd transfer case
4. Figure out how to mesh all this stuff together
5. Enjoy a mid-engine off-road only rig that sounds awesome and has loads of torque

Again, just trying to judge the "effectiveness" of this engine for off-road purposes.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Wow, heavy engine. No low end torque? Why swap from a 500-600 lb engine with the same characteristics if you leave the existing craptastic exhaust?

I like to try to drive with "no impact" rather than "drive it like you stole it".... just personal preference

I wouldn't want any trail rig with a detriot diesel in it: One man's "sounds awesome" is another man's head rattling nightmare. Being a gear-head, I would like to see the final result, though.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's been done. They sound neat for a second, after that, Detroits have to be right up there with Turbo Ecotecs for the most irritating motors to be around for long periods of time.

And that weight!!! holy crap. 4x the weight and none of the power? Why bother? :D

4x-Kota

Well, I was looking at a final drive calculator and have determined many things.
1. I would like to use a NV4500HD to get the most from the engine
2. A high range of 2:1 and a low of 4:1 would be very effective
3. Rockwell 2.5 Tons have a ratio of 6.722:1 which I would combine with some 53/54 inch military surplus tires
4. My previous idea of a rebuilt 3-spd would turn in to a SNAFU and result in next to no speed to get over obstacles

Now this was mostly hypothetical and I would really like to build up something like what I described but time and funds are nonexistent for at least 6 years. I just really like the Detroit Series-71 diesels so I was wondering what everyone here would think of it as an off-road engine.

mbryson
"I like to try to drive with "no impact" rather than "drive it like you stole it".... just personal preference"

I was going to counteract the "drive like its stolen" with really high gearing in the transfer case and axles.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Why the "NEED" to be different? I know it sounds cool and it's great to be unique but why go away from what is proven and what just plain works? There are plenty of other ways to be unique.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Dana Collins of Idaho Falls has an M37 with a Detroit 3-53 turboed in it. Loudest dam thing ever if you're behind him on the street or trail. The noise will be a real turn off very quickly, even in the driver's seat.