Dinner ideas

I am looking for a sassy meal for the evening of July 4th. Here's the kicker.....I will be camping. :eek: I'll have a stove and a small charcoal grill, but I don't EVER camp so I'm a bit in the dark about camp food. Any suggestions will be welcomed! :)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
cheese dogs? don't have to reinvent the wheel here ;)

and really, how do you grow up in the mountains, love 4 wheelin, and never camp?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Take your favorite slow cooker meal, stew recipe, or the like, make it in a dutch oven and toss it on the coals. Easy....
Or tinfoil dinners are always a good call.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
well for an easy desert go with Apple cobbler
1 Box yellow cake mix
1 can of apple pie filling
1 10 or 12 inch dutch oven
Sugar and Cinimmmon

Mix the yellow cake mix and add some extra sugar and cinnimon pour 1/4 on the bottom of the dutch until it is covered.. pour in pie filling, pour remainder cake on top. ad some cinnimon and sugar on top..

I usually do 5 briquettes on the bottom and 8 on the top cook till it is done

for dinner you could always do chicken and dumplings

2 nice chicken boobs
can cream of chicken soup
biscuit mix
salt pepper garlic onion

sear the chicken boobs in the dutch oven, ad can cream of chicken and 1 can of water.. season to taste ( you may want to add some flour to thicken the mixture) once almost done make your biscuits a bit wet and drop on the top.. add 7-8 briquettes on the top and cook until the biscuits are done :)..

cheese dogs? don't have to reinvent the wheel here ;)

and really, how do you grow up in the mountains, love 4 wheelin, and never camp?
Cheese dogs are for lunch on Sunday. ;) Heaven forbid we have any meal duplicates! :rofl:

And the camping thing....well, all I really have to say for myself is that I'm just an odd bird. The only camping we ever did was at the lake and it was a lot different when I was in high school. The moms did everything and we just raged around in the boats and cliff jumped. :) What's changed is that now I'm "the mom" and I would much rather pour all my time, money, and energy into the most fabulous Lemon Joy. I'm just making an exception to this trip due to my vast affection for the people I'm camping with. ;)
Take your favorite slow cooker meal, stew recipe, or the like, make it in a dutch oven and toss it on the coals. Easy....
Or tinfoil dinners are always a good call.

This is embarrassing, but I don't even use a crock pot. :eek: I love to cook, I've just never dived into the whole stew/crock pot thing.

I have a bitchen' peach cobbler recipe for dessert, although I will definitely be tucking that apple cobbler one away for future reference. :) It's just the actual meat part of the meal that I'm stuck on. I was contemplating baby back ribs. Doing a nice rub and cooking them here and just finishing them on the grill that night. I'm just curious what other people do who actually camp and know what to do out in the wild. :hickey:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
well for an easy desert go with Apple cobbler
1 Box yellow cake mix
1 can of apple pie filling
1 10 or 12 inch dutch oven
Sugar and Cinimmmon

Mix the yellow cake mix and add some extra sugar and cinnimon pour 1/4 on the bottom of the dutch until it is covered.. pour in pie filling, pour remainder cake on top. ad some cinnimon and sugar on top..

I usually do 5 briquettes on the bottom and 8 on the top cook till it is done

for dinner you could always do chicken and dumplings

2 nice chicken boobs
can cream of chicken soup
biscuit mix
salt pepper garlic onion

sear the chicken boobs in the dutch oven, ad can cream of chicken and 1 can of water.. season to taste ( you may want to add some flour to thicken the mixture) once almost done make your biscuits a bit wet and drop on the top.. add 7-8 briquettes on the top and cook until the biscuits are done :)..

Nice avatar ;) Good thing you're not me, or you'd get banned for it! :brett:

Corban_White

This sounds real simple but it always turns out very tasty. Take either some ribs or chicken (I like drumsticks but it can be any cut) and put in the dutch oven. Cover with several bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce (or a mix) and throw on the coals stirring occasionally until done. This can also be done in a pot on the stove but then it must be stirred MUCH more often.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
My avatar mysteriously vanished also..HMMM :D

Oh ya, back on topic I have a great teriyaki chicken dutch over recipe if you want it, As well as the world famous "who hash" recipe for breakfast.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Sweet Mary that's a nice GIF. Agonizingly slow on this sweet WY connection, but so sweet the waiting. :D

uh, yeah, anyway back to topic? Anything you can transport can be grilled up in the hills. Maybe some spicy, sassy marinated chicken or steaks? Some tasty kebobs? Etc.

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner

Oh ya, back on topic I have a great teriyaki chicken dutch over recipe if you want it, As well as the world famous "who hash" recipe for breakfast.

oh yes please share the who hash recipe.

Do you all line you dutch oven with foil before? Does it really help with clean up?

Caleb

oh yes please share the who hash recipe.

Do you all line you dutch oven with foil before? Does it really help with clean up?

It really depends on what I'm cooking but I do like to line the dutch oven with tin foil. It helps a TON with clean-up...especially when camping and you don't have a nice big sink to clean up in :D

I too am keenly interested in the "who hash" recipe. :)
Sweet Mary that's a nice GIF. Agonizingly slow on this sweet WY connection, but so sweet the waiting. :D

uh, yeah, anyway back to topic? Anything you can transport can be grilled up in the hills. Maybe some spicy, sassy marinated chicken or steaks? Some tasty kebobs? Etc.

I had thought about steaks too. We have a pretty good meat store in town and I brought a killer rub home from the Old Geezer last time we were in Moab. That just seems kind of blah. I don't know, maybe my aspirations are way too high. At this point there is a bet going through the neighborhood on whether or not I even make it through the camping trip alive. :ugh: