DIY bedliners

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I thought we had a recent thread on this stuff, but I can't find it. Is Raptor Liner still the consensus pick? I'd really rather roll than spray, but I'd definitely rather do it once instead of twice. My bed already has a plastic liner, I'm actually going to be using this to protect a fiberglass tonneau lid, so it doesn't need a huge amount of texture but I do want it tough.

A gallon of Herculiner plus some crappy brushes is $70 or so on Amazon - the Raptor Liner kit is $120, but they say for best results you need the etching primer and adhesion promoter, which takes it up to $150, and for that much shouldn't I just get the thing Rhinolined or Line-X'd?

Give me of your wisdom, oh mighty RME4x4.com.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I rolled on Hippo Liner in my YJ tub. Not as rough as other liners and I was very happy with the results.
If you do it yourself spend the extra money on one that has a UV inhibitor so it doesn't fade out and look crappy.

Spending the ridiculous amount of time necessary for prep is the key #1 priority and it will look nice and last a long time.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I have loved my Al's liner. I rolled it on about 1/8-1/4" think. Has held up great for me no complaints. Used the rubber texturizer 1/2 box per gal. I am not a fan of the thin coat kind most auto parts they seam to flake and look cheap.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have both Al's (rockers) and Raptor (roof) sprayed on my Cruiser, and you are welcome to come check them out. Mine are color tinted, with NO texture added.

gorillaxj

I am not able to find a pic of mine right now but I would say my Al's liner looks just like the monstaliner but I added the rubber pellets for traction which gave it a little more of the bumpy or rough look mixed in. No lifting or peeling from mine even in tight spots I wasn't able to properly prep.

Honestly if you buy one of the nicer ones it will self level pretty good if it's rolled on pretty thick (at least mine did). I am Unable to see any roll or brush textures left in the coating (had to roll the bed and brush the corners) I can't tell where one starts and the other stops. Just my experience. Not saying it's the best as I don't have experience with the others but I am happy with it.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
We should have a RME community "sample swatch" ring with all the popular bedliner samples all right together, and when someone is interested in a bedliner, they acquire the collection of samples from the previous guy (by flat rate shipping or local pickup) and hold onto it for the next guy. And it's location is kept public here on a thread :D

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
If there is any interest in that, I could see about getting it started, and then if anyone finds a new bedliner that isn't on the ring then they can add to it.

Kevin B.

I am not able to find a pic of mine right now but I would say my Al's liner looks just like the monstaliner but I added the rubber pellets for traction which gave it a little more of the bumpy or rough look mixed in. No lifting or peeling from mine even in tight spots I wasn't able to properly prep.

Honestly if you buy one of the nicer ones it will self level pretty good if it's rolled on pretty thick (at least mine did). I am Unable to see any roll or brush textures left in the coating (had to roll the bed and brush the corners) I can't tell where one starts and the other stops. Just my experience. Not saying it's the best as I don't have experience with the others but I am happy with it.

I'm considering the Als Liner. How long ago did you do yours? Any fading?

That's a cool idea, Chance.

gorillaxj

I did it 1 year ago almost exactly. Even rolled it out in 30* ish weather lol. No fading I can see but it's in the garage when it's not on the trail. One buddy has is all over his rig and it doesn't look faded, I think he is going on 3-4 years IIRC. I'll try to get a pic of mine tomorrow.

Thats not a bad idea , just have to get the plate and ring :) I think I have a gal of the liner left over and some rubber additive with a installation kit I may use when I bob my 4runner. If you put together swatch plates I'll coat one when I do it.

When I was looking it came down to Al's, Monstaliner, and Raptor. They seamed to have the best online reviews. I went with Al's 100% because a buddy said he loved it, otherwise it felt like a guessing game lol. Cheapest place I found it was amazon at the time. But if you can see them first hand that would be ideal. You can come see mine in person if you want to.

Here is a thread from a while back.... http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?105416-Bed-liner-for-inside-of-the-tub&highlight=Bed+liner

Last edited:

Kevin B.

When I was looking it came down to Al's, Monstaliner, and Raptor.

That's almost exactly where I'm at right now. I like Monstaliner's claim to be completely UV stable. I've got an email into Al's about how UV stable their stuff is, but if yours is holding up well it might come down to price. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I like the idea of the bedliner sample swatches! Chance, I'll donate the plates to be coated if you tell me what size/shape you want. I'm kinda assuming just rectangles with a hole in one corner--but the options are limitless. :D

To actually contribute to the thread: I did not like the Lava Liner I used on my old Willys. (don't even know if it exists anymore) It was really soft and rubbery, but because of that was very peel-y too. I've not been happy with Herculiner either, it's very rough and after a while ends up shrinking, so it shows little cracks you can see the original color through.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Yes that's what I was thinking, maybe just 4"x4" or 3"x5"? I have half a sheet of 16 ga that I have been trying to use up that would be perfect. I'm thinkin 10 or 12 would be enough for a while?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll get some cut up...I have enough little drops I can use, these won't use up enough material to make a difference on your 1/2 sheet. :)

Box Rocket

bored
I used Raptor liner on my trailer and I've been really happy with it. The finish quality and texture was better than most others IMO. I sprayed it and it came out more smooth and consistent than what I've seen from roll on applications. Just my two cents.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Kevin what did you end up going with? New rig has a drop in bedliner i'd like to get rid of.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm going to be doing my trailer in a few weeks and don't remember seeing this thread last year. Thanks for bumping it.