DIY bedliners

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I rolled it on, actually. I think if I were going to do a bigger surface, or the inside of a bed, I'd try and spray it instead.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yeah I'm thinking about spraying the bottom of my trailer and the inside of the box, too many corners to roll. I did look at POR15 and may end up doing the bottom of the trailer out of that which could save me some coin. I just don't have any idea how many of the bed liner kits it would take to cover the metal like I'd want.

Kevin B.

With the Als Liner, I used half the kit and got two thick coats on a roughly 5x5 tonneau. I bet it would cover better if you sprayed it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am thinking I will be doing a liner on my new flat bed.. Where does one pick up the Als liner? I used the rustolium on a trailer once.. It was worthless.

Kevin B.

This was rolled on super early in the pot life of this batch and then left alone, so it's super smooth with almost no texture at all.

20150423_124824_zps7ubcwhhc.jpg

This is what it looked like when I rolled it onto a fiberglass thingy I made - I kept going back over it with the roller as it set up, so that raised it and gave it a bit more texture.

20150301_151037_zpstliblb1d.jpg

Pics don't really show it, though. It's almost flat on the sample card, and has enough texture on the fiberglass thing and my tonneau that you know it's bedliner, but not enough to add significant traction. I think if you kept rolling as it dried you'd get more texture, and they sell a rubber crumb additive if you want it chunky like a professional spray-in job.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Has anyone tried using the rust-oleum oil based enamel?

rust.jpg

obviously it's not a bed liner, but would it be more durable than rattle can?