DIY hot dog roasters

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Have any of you guys made some simple roasters that would last a long while? I'd like to make a decent set but am not sure what material to use for the poker part. I know this is pretty basic stuff but do I have to use stainless steel? Thoughts?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I use a stick. It also allows me to play with a knife, which I'm legally forbidden to do within city limits.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I have a few already done, made from 3/16" stainless steel rod. I made a bunch for Christmas presents a couple years back. Text me tomorrow afternoon to remind me, and I'll check and see if they're still on my shelf. :cool:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
With decent fabrication skills you could make something like these:

Roast-My-Weenie-Hot-Dog-Cooker1.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think I have a few already done, made from 3/16" stainless steel rod. I made a bunch for Christmas presents a couple years back. Text me tomorrow afternoon to remind me, and I'll check and see if they're still on my shelf. :cool:

Will do Carl! Thanks. Making something for Christmas gifts is something I had thought about doing as well. They seem simple enough to make but yet I've camped enough with my family to know that my siblings and their families could use a set. I want some for myself now but do consider making some as presents in the future.

When I googled this I found a ton of results like what Dempsey posted. Thats not my style though and I don't see those being real functional.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I cut up an old tomato plant cage a few years ago. I got 5 roasters out of it, about 48" long I think. Good idea to put a handle on one end. Didn't think of that. That cage was already at my house when I moved in, but you get get them at Lowes for like $3.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Carl hooked me up yesterday but I still think I'm going to pursue making some as well. I've got too many family members and if I can make a slew of these I can give them away for birthday presents to (hopefully) save myself some money over the year while giving a useful gift.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I cut up an old tomato plant cage a few years ago. I got 5 roasters out of it, about 48" long I think. Good idea to put a handle on one end. Didn't think of that. That cage was already at my house when I moved in, but you get get them at Lowes for like $3.

Aren't tomato cages usually galvanized? I don't know, but it sounds like that'd be bad???