• Stay with the V10 until it dies

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Powerstroke Flatbed Mafia

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Normal Bed Powerstroke Lameness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit trucks because they're expensive and just buy a minivan

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Cummins or Duramax because I have bad taste.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Subaru Flatbed

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
A few years ago the investment group I was with had me vet a bunch of large commercial landscape companies for them to purchase. The one we went with had all newish equipment (trucks, trailers, front end loaders, etc), many that we rejected had older beat up stuff. The philosophy behind this company was you don’t get ahead by cutting costs, you get ahead by increasing efficiency. Their crews never had a single day in a year where they couldn’t perform because their equipment wasn’t functioning. So make sure your decisions are properly weighing cost against value of consistent performance. If your stuff breaks, does it make you lose money/reputation? If not, then it’s just about personal inconvenience, and you can make your choice based on how heavy you weight that. I lean toward getting bare-bones newer trucks with low costs of ownership beyond the finance payment, and focus your time and energy on how to increase revenue.

That said, I don’t work on my own stuff, so if something breaks the inconvenience to me is higher than to many here who are handy with repairs.