Does your wife ride dirt bikes?

sixstringsteve

Anyone out there have a wife that rides? My wife has been twice, and she's wanting to get out again. I know it gives her a lot of confidence when there are other kids/wives there learning too. We rode Wasatch State Park with Corban and it was fun. Maybe we could set up a learner/beginner's riding day at Lambert Park or out between Lil Moab and Pelican Point. Any begining wife riders out there?

sixstringsteve

I think a lot of wives are scared because they hop on a bike that's way too much for them. Throw them on a honda trail 50 or a PW80 nd they'll get hooked. At least that's how it was with my wife. I really had to push her to get on a bike. She learned on an XR80 with a clutch, and she didn't like it the first 10 min. After 20 min, she was ready for the TTR-125L.

I was surprised when she told me a month ago "I miss dirt biking, let's plan some rides this year." It came out of nowhere. She's not good, but she can handle a fire road just fine without crashing. She even did a bit of singletrack.

I think the key to wives liking it are:

1) being able to flat-foot (HUGE confidence builder)
2) riding in a place free of distractions. Make sure it's an open place
3) no pressure (or lots of pressure, depending on your wife ;))
4) if you can teach them on a bike without a clutch, even better. Noob riders get stressed about what each lever does. If you think about it, there's a lot going on. Left foot shifts down for first, then up from there. Right foot is rear brake. Left lever is clutch, right lever is front brake (opposite a bike). Twist throttle away from you to go forward (not intuitive for noobs), as you accelerate, your body moves back, making you give it MORE throttle. It can be a lot to think about right off the bat.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think my wife would do great and love it if you were teaching her. I don't have the patience to try to teach her to ride.

sixstringsteve

I'd be happy to teach anyone's wife or kid. I enjoy teaching as much as I enjoy riding. I think it'd be cool to set up a learning day and have 5-10 different small bikes they could all take out for a bit. Maybe teach a different skill at different stations.

- ride-around on a clutchless bike
- starting a bike
- learning to start from a standstill with a clutch
- shifting into 2nd and 3rd, including downshifting
- braking
- pop-starting

then we all go on a short 40 min trail ride along some fire roads. This would work really well out on the west side of Utah Lake, there are some great spots there. Or Lambert Park in Alpine would work for the more basic levels.

I have access to an XR80 and a TTR125L.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My wife is still in the beginning stages, but really enjoys it. Flat footing is the most important to her. She can handle just about any power I give her. (she use to ride a hopped up banshee)
Letting her buzz around on my PW80 has been a huge help as it feels more like a toy, and removes any fear. As she becomes more comfortable on the PW the confidence transfers to the bigger bikes.
We are all in for beginner days, and camping trips centered around learning riders. Knolls is good as it has MUCH flat land.

sixstringsteve

I like the idea of camping with riding. My wife would like that too. The San Rafael Swell could be fun for the wives, lots of fire roads to explore. The advanced guys could do the tougher trails.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
A camping learning trip would be awesome, my wife loves camping especially if there are other wives and probably kids involved. If she were to decide she didn't want to do anymore learning at least we we would still be camping.

sixstringsteve

My wife and I will be riding Lambert park on Friday night for date night. If anyone and their wife want to join us, you're welcome to come.

rangerboy0308

if anyone and there wife still ride and make it st george way let me know. my wife just got a dirt bike for xmas and loves riding but she would have more fun i think if there was another girl on a bike rather than all guys on on 450.

Moabxjeeper

This is an old thread but I love the idea. I've got a friend* who keeps telling me she would love to try it out but all we have are 450's.. and she's about 5'1.

I've been looking around for dirt bike rental places but I'm quickly realizing that such a thing doesn't really exist, at least not here in Salt Lake. I think an event like this would be awesome.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
My wife rides offroad.
TRX 450 for the sand
Grizzly 660 in the mountains
If she feels the need she can rip my 900XP

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This is an old thread but I love the idea. I've got a friend* who keeps telling me she would love to try it out but all we have are 450's.. and she's about 5'1.

I've been looking around for dirt bike rental places but I'm quickly realizing that such a thing doesn't really exist, at least not here in Salt Lake. I think an event like this would be awesome.

TTR 125