Dogs on the trail

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don't trust others dogs at all. I cannot tell if you are a good dog owner as we pass on the trail. I cannot tell if your dog is jumpy, aggressive, or would bite simply by looking at him walking along.
So when I am on a trail (especially on my dirt bike) I get rather upset to see dogs on the loose.
Lets say I am stopped as we pass each other. Your dog is walking along side a group of rigs. As he passes me he is going to stop and sniff, as almost every dog would. Now I am in a tough spot. Do I just trust that you are a good owner with a good dog? do I yell at the owner, do I kick at the dog? I have been bit too many times to just assume I am safe.
Add my kids into the mix of this all and I get really frustrated.
Lets say your dog sniffs at my kid while we hike. She reaches to pet dog, dog feels threatened and bites kid. I kill dog. You are mad and start beating me.. all because your dog was not leashed.
I absolutely have loved my dogs. But I also don't expect other to like them..
empty 037.jpg

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I love dogs, plain and simple. all kinds. However, they are the owners responsibility and there risk while around moving vehicles. I don't mind somone bringing there Dog out to play. However I also Don't want to be to blame when they get ran over. I do look out for them and care about them. but if I ever end up hitting a dog while wheeling (thinking about everything else and not where somone's dog is) I will not take blame or fault. As just like in the street the dog is on your watch...

Now that is aside, I have never had a bad experience, but I do get a little nervouse when I see a dog on a trail off leash. I would feel horrible about somthing happening... I think they should be in the car, on leash, or highly watched over. Don't forget to clean up after your dog as well :)

Westernhunter

I don't trust others dogs at all. I cannot tell if you are a good dog owner as we pass on the trail. I cannot tell if your dog is jumpy, aggressive, or would bite simply by looking at him walking along.
So when I am on a trail (especially on my dirt bike) I get rather upset to see dogs on the loose.
Lets say I am stopped as we pass each other. Your dog is walking along side a group of rigs. As he passes me he is going to stop and sniff, as almost every dog would. Now I am in a tough spot. Do I just trust that you are a good owner with a good dog? do I yell at the owner, do I kick at the dog? I have been bit too many times to just assume I am safe.
Add my kids into the mix of this all and I get really frustrated.
Lets say your dog sniffs at my kid while we hike. She reaches to pet dog, dog feels threatened and bites kid. I kill dog. You are mad and start beating me.. all because your dog was not leashed.
I absolutely have loved my dogs. But I also don't expect other to like them..
View attachment 75178

This!

No task is impossible by those who don't actually have to do it.

Obedience

Mine is very well trained. If I tell him to sit, I can walk away and he won't move. So the same rules apply on the trail when he's out of the truck. Obedience is the best way to keep him safe. I also taught him to military crawl with some other stuff. ...separation axhiety helps too though lol! He hates not being right next to me but he will listen if I tell him to stay.

Attachments

• 939.jpg
    939.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 426565_10150593013191849_1342664235_n.jpg
    426565_10150593013191849_1342664235_n.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 9
  • phoca_thumb_l_DSC_5669.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_DSC_5669.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: