door-less xj

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
if only i had a welder.....

all you need is Beer and a friend with a welder and you are golden :greg:

I know that when I have had my XJ twisted up on the trail that there have been times that I was unable to either open or close my doors again so I think that the doors do help with some added rigidity...

STAG

On my grind
all you need is Beer and a friend with a welder and you are golden :greg:

I know that when I have had my XJ twisted up on the trail that there have been times that I was unable to either open or close my doors again so I think that the doors do help with some added rigidity...

When I did a rear 4 link and coil conversion on my XJ it took away all of the problems of the doors/liftgate rubbing when opening at full flex.

but x2 on the friend with a welder, I'm sure lots of people on here would be more than happy to weld stuff up for ya, including me.

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
When I was pulled over for being doorless, the officer said I needed to have either the O.E. door in place or some sort of a structure. So I welded up a set of tube doors, threw 'em on and never had a problem. Hope that helps.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'd agree with Shane

But only because I like the pictureses :D

100_0992.jpg

This is my favorite way to do it
100_0966.jpg

Dominic

I cut my door hinges for easy removal in Moab. It was nice to see out the side but not worth the work it took to realign the doors for the drive home.

Last edited:

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i got pulled over for no doors in my yota, due to no lip at the bottom,

so i built half doors for it and got pulled over again and had to argue with the high way patrol man that they were legal i actually won that arguement.

so i run my half doors when ever its nice which i cant wait to do for a while till the truck goes to ohv status.

Bart

I ran with no doors on my old XJ but had an internal roll cage and tied that into the frame stiffeners on the uni rails.

Attachments

• DT1.jpg
    DT1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
This is a topic covered all over the interweb. Basically, having photographed a bunch of accidents over the years, the only time doors seem to add anything is in a side impact. The latches for doors aren't meant to keep the unibody from folding like a taco. And if ANYONE thinks the window frame adds ANY structural rigidity, go out and see how easy it is bend that thing over... Does a door add a crumple zone, I've seen about 50/50 the door crumples with the front, or just flat breaks the latch and swings open.

Hey Scott, the door being tough to open when twisted, is only limiting your flex!!!!

OF course, this is only my experiences covering all manner of vehicle accidents. No, I don't have pics since there are legal issues. And, I wouldn't mind running my ZJ around some with the doors off...

90 cherokee

i ran no doors. i even asked a cop.(while in my door less cherokee) he said it is illegal but wouldnt pull any one over for it.