Downey 3" lift

reddog

Hello,
I was hoping someone out in computer land could answer a question for me.
I bought a 1986 4runner and I am starting to modify it. it came with a Downey 3" lift springs in the back and new torsoin bars for the front. I went to put on the rear springs today and holy crap!!! that sucked.
I worked for several hours on it and only got one side done. the shackle bolts were corroded real bad, two needed to be cut off just to get the old spring off.
but anyway that is not the point. here is the question. I am just getting into 4wheeling well at least the kind where you need modifcations. I will be looking toward swapping out the front axle for a solid one because as I understand it that is the only way to go right? so the question is how much am I looking at to swap the front axle? if it is too cost prohibitive I will probably just put on these torsion bars and run it like that until I get the hang of what I am doing anyway.
so do I spend the money on the swap or invest instead in lockers for the rear and front? I would think it would be good to put the lockers in now and as money provides itself then do the axle swap? any and all opinions are welcome if of course they are productive :)
Thanks, sorry it is such a long post but I thank you for the help.
Reddog

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I would vote locker first. The solid front axle will help out but I think a locker will make a bigger difference. One thing that you want to think of when you do the locker is what gears do you want to run. It is easier to do both at once so you don't have to pay to get the gears set up twice. Of course you probably don't want to spend the money to change the gears in the front end if you are going to swap it out. You could throw in a lockright for now (goes in your stock carrier) and you don't have to set the gears again. They don't have the best rep. but unless you are going to do real hard 4wheeling they will hold up fine. My brother had one in his Scout and he twisted a couple axle shafts and never broke the locker. I don't know if that is something you want to try yourself or not. It's not that hard but if you've never tore into an axle before you might be lost. I don't know if that helps you any or just gives more to wonder about. Scott :rofl:

DToy

To do a solid axle swap properly I would plan on around $2000 in order to do it right, with new good-quality parts. You might be able to piece it together cheaper, but my personal opinion is that you shouldn't dive into a swap like that without the $$$ to do it right. Alot depends on the type of wheeling you plan on doing. I have a friend with an '87 Toy pickup that still has the IFS on it. He has torsion bars and a 2" body lift sitting on 33's. He goes wheeling with a few of us that have done solid-axle swaps and have 37" or larger tires and does fine on all but the toughest of trails. I would vote throwing in the torsion bars and rear springs, then lockers and/or gears. Then wheel the piss out of it until your driving ability/nerve/wallet need more front articulation.

You will need some assistance throwing in a lockright in the Toyota third members though...you do have to remove the carrier and ring gear to put the locker in. You will not be able to use the front locker after the solid axle swap, which is why I would recommend a lockright/detroit ez locker. You might spend $275 on it now, but you should be able to get $150 or maybe a little more for it when you are done with it.

reddog

Thanks guys,

That is pretty much my thinking on the whole project but it just feels ggod to have somebody els say what you were alreay thinking :rofl:
Thanks again,

Reddog