DR-Z 70

Caleb

Anyone know much about these bikes? I'm looking at one for my 5 year old. I have been planning on doing a KTM 50 sx mini for him, but at $3800 vs. $1800 for the 70, I'm super tempted with the 70. He'll probably out-grow it in a couple years (maybe less?) and then I'll bump him up to something more like the KTM 50s. It looks like Suzuki made this 70 in 2008 and 2009 and then stopped and are now bringing it back for 2015 (this may be wrong, but it seems I can find info on 2008 and 2009 bikes and now on 2015 bikes). What do you guys know?

Caleb

Seriously, he's growing up so fast. I don't know why, but I did;t even look at the Yamaha or Honda offerings. I don't care for the PW50/80 bikes, but the TTR line would work I think.

rholbrook

I have stayed with the little Hondas for Harrison because you really cant get a better little bike to start out on. Once he gets the hang of it, move him to a KTM. Harrison's been riding a CRF150RB Expert the last year and he is finally nearly able to touch flat footed. He is getting pretty descent on it. He has just started growing finally so he will probably be ready for a full size bike next year so over the winter I will keep my eye out for a KTM200XC and lower it a bit for him at first.

Harrison went from a XR50 to a XR100(clutch) to a CRF150F(bigger but too heavy and mild) to his current bike. I think the CRF70 may be an auto. I wont buy Suzuki any more. I had an issue where they wouldn't cover my 700 King Quad ATV under warranty after it started blowing smoke at 6 mos and 1 week. If I had brought it in when it started blowing smoke they would have covered it under warranty but because I waited a week they didnt. When they first came out they had paper air filters. I argued with them that it was not a good idea to have a paper filter in such a dusty environment and they told me it wasnt an issue. It wasnt but a few months later that all the new ones had foam filters. I let them know that I would never own another Suzuki and I would discourage anyone I knew to stay away from them. So there.....Dont but a Suzuki. I would by Yamaha minis.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
We had a klx110 that I think is very similar. my boys rode 2 sets of tires off in only dirt. Only put tires and oil in that thing. It's the only kawasaki I would own again.
I have had two Pw 80s. They are way better if you raise the rear shock. But still handle a little like a chopper.

Corban_White

My 5yo rides a xr/crf 50. He started riding it when he was 4 and it will probably last him 3 more summers. It has a 3 speed with the auto clutch. He hasn't figured out how to shift yet so I just stick it in gear for him, usually 2nd but it can start out in third fine if it's mostly flat. I have a dirt riding area a few blocks from my house if you want to bring your boy down to Lehi and take it for a spin.

rholbrook

My 5yo rides a xr/crf 50. He started riding it when he was 4 and it will probably last him 3 more summers. It has a 3 speed with the auto clutch. He hasn't figured out how to shift yet so I just stick it in gear for him, usually 2nd but it can start out in third fine if it's mostly flat. I have a dirt riding area a few blocks from my house if you want to bring your boy down to Lehi and take it for a spin.

Corban's boy has ridden at the school by my house and he loves it. Its fun to watch them ride. Cheston's boy rides with training wheels on his 50 but he told me the other night that he is ready to go without the training wheels. I really dont think you can go wrong with any of the bikes out there.

Caleb

I'm actually really leaning towards the Honda now. Couple reasons, parts are very easy to get, it's not a big investment should he not like it, and he really really wants orange plastics (I know stupid, but if gets him excited, then I have no problem with that) and you can get them for the Honda 50.

rholbrook

I'm actually really leaning towards the Honda now. Couple reasons, parts are very easy to get, it's not a big investment should he not like it, and he really really wants orange plastics (I know stupid, but if gets him excited, then I have no problem with that) and you can get them for the Honda 50.
He may want White Blue and Yellow now so his 50 can be as sweet as his dads new bike. The Huskys are so good looking.

Caleb

He may want White Blue and Yellow now so his 50 can be as sweet as his dads new bike. The Huskys are so good looking.

Ha, actually if I could find a nice Husky 50 jr/sr I'd buy it in a second...they pop up occasionally but are usually on the other side of the country it seems. His desire for orange used to be because my bike was orange, now it's michaelangelo :rofl:

Caleb

So I finally decided the CRF50 was the bike. I walked in to the dealer today, cash in hand and they wouldn't budge on the price at all. I was going to pay more in freight, doc fees, and setup than I did on my Husky! :eek: I told them to keep their bike and walked out. Seriously, it's a HONDA! I got a better deal on my 501 that can't be found, sold before they arrive, etc and the stupid little 50 that is on every dealer floor, they wouldn't budge on. That $1400(msrp) bike was going to be $2200. I can buy a much nicer bike for $2200.

Anyone have a suggestion on a Honda dealer? This was at Honda World in South Jordan.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I was going to buy a couple new ttr's, but found that the actual cost was way to high after all the dealer fees. Buying a slightly used one will avoid all the fees and junk.

Caleb

I'm thinking the same thing. I just have hard time swallowing the price guys are asking for 10 year old bikes.

rholbrook

There is no money in those little bikes so that why they won't budge on the dealer fees. Find a nice used one because he will be ready for a 99-110 in 2 yrs anyway. We need to get you and your son, Cheston and his son and run out to Dell and let them ride the roads. They will have a riot. Corbin's boy is probably ready for a 90 now. He was ripping around the ball field last time he came up to visit his grandpa who lives by me

Caleb

Yeah, I understand the lack of margin in the minis. I've never paid msrp for any vehicle (bikes, cars, trucks, etc) and I sure as hell am not going to start paying msrp on a Honda. :) Time to start watching the used market a little more closely. I have noticed the mini bike market in Utah is definitely inflated. Looking over on planet mini, you can get some nice bikes for $600-$900. Here a stocker crf generally runs $1000.

Caleb

Found a great deal on a 2013 crf50, so last night we went and picked it up.

Got him geared up tonight and he tried to ride it around a bit without training wheels (can't ride a bike yet without them either). Despite continually falling, he had a good time. His training wheels will show up tomorrow so when he gets home from school, it'll be ready for him to tear things up. :)