Dream job?

Houndoc

Some comments above mentioned it being easier to be gone as the kids are older.

Personally, I made a point not to miss my kids high school sports, road and home included.- 3 kids with multiple sports each (including a daughter who ran cross country and played soccer over the same months) made that difficult around work but made it happen with only missing a couple competitions total.

With them now adults and out of the house, I am glad I was able to make it work. Time well spent.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
And if you’re married or have a partner make sure they are seriously OK with the idea of you being out doing what they perceive is fun all the time while they’re at home.

We make this reference a lot to our new students. They and their spouses often believe that it’s just a bunch of awesome roadtrips for the rest of your career. The student figures out the truth real quick, but the spouse doesn’t.

Nearly all of my students can’t wait to drive to LV in a truck. They think it’s gonna be fun. It definitely isn’t.

On the flip side, I haven’t been a truck driver for 18 months, and now my spouse and I occasionally travel for work in the very same manner ( separately ) as she is now the same level manager as myself. For me, it absolutely DOES feel like a vacation. Almost zero responsibilities and paid meals. Heckin yes!
She freakin hates the travel, because she usually gets to be on tornado watch when she goes.