Dream Mine and Little Moab

Venture13

Been busy this past weekend, two days of wheeling. Had to get in some seat time for Delta.

Went back to the Dream Mine to scope it out for a potential trail ride. Well, things have recently changed. Luckily I asked for the access gate key this past weekend, because it was the last weekend it would ever be open. DNR has insurance on the land that goes up to the top of the mountain where the towers are, which means they want people to have access to the state land. There is a very dangerous ATV/Horseback trail that bypasses the mine land trust. The state wants the Dream Mine to allow all common recreational traffic to pass through their private road up to the state land. Well, private land owners of the Dream Mine said no, and officially shutting down the road, so then the DNR people are going to gate off the top of the access road at the state property line so no one can use the state land. Their is a small sketchy trail that you can barely make it up on an ATV on the state land side, which will probably stay open to only ATV s and smaller wheeled vehicles. Then again I heard word they will blast that road for zero access until it gets proper maitenance from the state. To many people have gotten seriously hurt on this off camber trail. I personally made it up before on the Grizzly 700 and had to rinse my undies out..

So a current bantering match with land owners and DNR for rights to the access road and state land. I was potentially thinking about stepping in and offering to help maintain that sketchy ATV trail and properly put up signs for safety and legality reasons. By doing so might grant me possible access to the gates and enable the mountain road to stay open.

The Dream Mine road is a bit washed out, but for the most part in good shape. Having everyday traffic from recreational people would ruin it for sure.

The main gate
SPanish002.jpg

Switch Backs above the Mine
SPanish004.jpg

SPanish006.jpg

SPanish010.jpg

Second Gate DNR one I think.. Keys had access through it for this only weekend.
SPanish015.jpg

SPanish019.jpg

One of the many Small Mines..
SPanish030.jpg

SPanish037.jpg

SPanish042.jpg

SPanish048.jpg

SPanish052.jpg

SPanish057.jpg

Mini Moab was cool, great place to work the suspension for sure..

SPanish102.jpg

SPanish143.jpg

SPanish103.jpg

Click on this photo for video..

Last edited:

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
Just wondering who told you about the dream mine? I get a key for it every year and I guess I need to go talk to Joe. It would be nice if the little mtn trail stayed open but they do close the gate, keep out a bunch of people who cant stay on the road.

Venture13

Joe gave me some intell, he is a good guy to chat with. Knows alot of history. Sure DNR will work something out, but keeping the access road with little traffic will be desireable.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
Ya, I just got told it also. The only thing is, they cant blast the road, the radio tower needs access to it for repairs and servicing, I think the DNR just wants to get out of paying for the insurance, and are trying to bully Boyd into paying it. It will be interesting to see what all happens with it.