General Tech Drills that work? Need a 9/16" drill that will drill more than one hole

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I need to drill about 8 holes in some 1/4" steel and bought a DeWalt drill from Lowes last night (only brand they had in 9/16"). I have two holes done after two drills.... not real impressive. Anyone have any "go to" drill places that would have a drill that could get me about 6 more holes?

(drilling at low speed with lots of lube)

Any suggestions are welcome.

(FWIW, I was able to drill four holes with a 3/4" off-brand drill with the same setup)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I take it you're starting with smaller holes, and working your way up to 9/16?

Just sharpen the bit, and drill away again.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The problem is that the hole size is close to the drill size, and the edges of the holes are hardened from the plasma cutting process. It's probably destroying the outside corner of the cutting edge--when you used the 3/4", you were removing enough material that the corner was into fresh/soft material and so it lived.

If you can grind away the hardened surface, the drill will have better luck. So, I'd skip that and just resharpen the bits and go some more. :D

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
yup. how slow are your RPMs while drilling.... Most drill presses dont go slow enough for drilling hardened material

muleskinner

Cutting oil will help also.

Edit: I read your post again and noticed you used "lube". I'm sure you know, but WD40 type products are not good for cutting. I like the foaming type cutting fluid myself.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
There is a Dewalt repair shop out in west valley off of 201 that will rebuild your drill if you killed it... due to its under warranty

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Drilling out Carl-cut brackets is awful. I ended up buying a big HF press to do it just because I kept getting so mad at my little press and hand drill. Worth. Every. Penny.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would bet I have drilled more Carl cut holes than most and have never noticed premature wear on my drills.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I cut a plasma'ed hole on Trate's MJ and it killed my bit halfway through the hole, in a drill press on 80 rpm w cutting lube, from then on I had Carl cut all my holes .05"-.10" oversized of what I actually thought would work and then everything was good after that.