Easter Jeep Safari 2011 - Pictures/Videos/Stories!!!!

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Looks like a fun time on Metal Masher!!!! Widowmaker is always a really fun obstacle!!!

@ Mitch: That looks like the new 54s didn't quite have enough space between them and the body panels on Cheston's Scout! But that's ok... looks like the lack of body panels kind of proves that!! Keep the awesome pics and vids coming!!!!!!!

zukijames

Met some forum members hung out at bfe everyday.. Then worked grave yard shift. My first jeep safari it was fun too crowded for me. Got rejected by the heldo fall 4 different runs. Got rejected by suicide hill quite a bit too. Made it 4 times this week though a few of the members on here got
To see it yesterday.. My motor is worn our

Passed the guy with the broken axle tube .. Didn't mean to be rude but I had to get to work!

It was crazy how many rigs made the water fall! I defiantly want a bigger motor now!

Bart

Went down the 15th, the Friday before opening Saturday, and met some friends there. Did our pre-run on Hells Revenge, letting my daughter Carli, drive it for the first time. I took over for optional routes, including Hell's Gate, Mickey's Hot Tub, and the Escalator, but she drove everything else and did a great job. Later that afternoon we did a quick ride up Moab Rim to the overlook. I love that run.

Saturday morning we met our group at the Branding Iron for Hells Revenge. It's my 3rd year leading and I love it. Thanks again Dave. We had about 27 rigs with us and didn't really have a problem. Things went so well we were out to the overlook by 11:00 for lunch. As a rule I don't do optional obstacles while leading, but do let participants choose if they want to. Only slow down was about half the group went through the Escalator, but only one got into trouble, and it wasn't bad. No one wanted to do Mickey's so we moved to the Escalator and had about seven that wanted to go. I couldn't take it any more so I went up Escalator first for 2 reasons, first to have a winch at the top and second to spot anyone that needed help. A few of the participants got into a bit of trouble, but only one needed a to winch out. The group seemed to enjoy the show. We were out by 3 in the afternoon with only one breakdown. It was a triple axle Early Bronco that busted a front short side u-joint. He was able to make it out using his rear two axles.

Sunday we wanted to do something harder and Pritchett was closed, so we headed to Behind the Rocks. Again Carli did most of the driving that day, except for Nose Dive, Upchuck and White Knuckle. For the first time ever I was denied climbing White Knuckle. I was close by my belly pan kept getting caught. I need to finish my front long arm, belly up and move to 37" tires.
We were going to stay until Monday but the weather started looking bad. We headed out Sunday afternoon and were home by 7. Great weekend, great weather, great wheeling. We had the doors off and top down the whole time.
Here's a few pics from Saturday on HR.

Attachments

• Moab1sm.jpg
    Moab1sm.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 32
  • Moab2sm.jpg
    Moab2sm.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Moab3sm.jpg
    Moab3sm.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 38

roverrocks

Went down the 15th, the Friday before opening Saturday, and met some friends there. Did our pre-run on Hells Revenge, letting my daughter Carli, drive it for the first time. I took over for optional routes, including Hell's Gate, Mickey's Hot Tub, and the Escalator, but she drove everything else and did a great job. Later that afternoon we did a quick ride up Moab Rim to the overlook. I love that run.

Saturday morning we met our group at the Branding Iron for Hells Revenge. It's my 3rd year leading and I love it. Thanks again Dave. We had about 27 rigs with us and didn't really have a problem. Things went so well we were out to the overlook by 11:00 for lunch. As a rule I don't do optional obstacles while leading, but do let participants choose if they want to. Only slow down was about half the group went through the Escalator, but only one got into trouble, and it wasn't bad. No one wanted to do Mickey's so we moved to the Escalator and had about seven that wanted to go. I couldn't take it any more so I went up Escalator first for 2 reasons, first to have a winch at the top and second to spot anyone that needed help. A few of the participants got into a bit of trouble, but only one needed a to winch out. The group seemed to enjoy the show. We were out by 3 in the afternoon with only one breakdown. It was a triple axle Early Bronco that busted a front short side u-joint. He was able to make it out using his rear two axles.

Sunday we wanted to do something harder and Pritchett was closed, so we headed to Behind the Rocks. Again Carli did most of the driving that day, except for Nose Dive, Upchuck and White Knuckle. For the first time ever I was denied climbing White Knuckle. I was close by my belly pan kept getting caught. I need to finish my front long arm, belly up and move to 37" tires.
We were going to stay until Monday but the weather started looking bad. We headed out Sunday afternoon and were home by 7. Great weekend, great weather, great wheeling. We had the doors off and top down the whole time.
Here's a few pics from Saturday on HR.
My wife and I were along on your Sat. April 16 Hell's Revenge run. We had a great time. Enjoyed taking my wife up Hell's Gate. Thanks for a great run. Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• MoabEJS2011 006.jpg
    MoabEJS2011 006.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • MoabEJS2011 017.jpg
    MoabEJS2011 017.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 45
  • MoabEJS2011 019.jpg
    MoabEJS2011 019.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 32
  • MoabEJS2011 040.jpg
    MoabEJS2011 040.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38
  • MoabEJS2011 044.JPG
    MoabEJS2011 044.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 29

Bart

My wife and I were along on your Sat. April 16 Hell's Revenge run. We had a great time. Enjoyed taking my wife up Hell's Gate. Thanks for a great run. Here's a few pictures.

I remember you well. Was impressed with your Rover and especially your driving skills. Glad you had a good time.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Here's a couple of mine. Did Hells Revenge with Bart on Sat., Poison Spider with Dave Adams on Sunday, hit BFE on Monday, Mashed Potato, Hidden Canyon and Pickle on Tuesday. Did lots of driving (we "NEEDED" two motorcycles and an ATV for Thurs-Sun?) on Wed.

Killed a CV on my rear driveline JUST after we got out of Pickle. Drove out on front axle. My passenger side leaf springs are kinda done (still made it through the week) I'm assuming due to something on Minor Threat in BFE. We had an XJ with a "super 35" have issues (who'd have thunk?) but Olywrestle had spare parts for him.

Wed.--Back to Mapleton for the ATV, bikes and family. Lost a tire/wheel on the flatbed somewhere between I-70 and the Woodside area road construction. Best Deal Spring in Price hooked me up with a brake drum (all my studs were sheared off my trailer :eek: ) and a bearing (had some pitting on the inner bearing) and dust cap. Got the kids and JUST got back to the RR4W event on Wed. evening.

Thurs.-cruised over to White Wash Sand Dunes. Camper/Jeep/utility trailer/ATV/bikes, dust, wind and some rain. While I was coming back with the camp trailer, my wife had a proposition from a guy with a 4runner. He'd rolled his runner on the dunes and couldn't get it started. He wondered if I'd be up for a recovery try. Dragged his 4Runner down from the dunes and then up the hill so they could get it on a trailer. Maybe 30 min after the Toyota recovery a nasty storm rolled in for a couple hours. Went out on the dunes after the storm with the wife in the Jeep. :cool::eek::cool: 3rd time she's ever ridden in it.

Friday-Time for a shower. Headed to Green River with the fam. Did some touristy things, bought lunch while we waited for some neighbors that were coming down. Finally got in touch with them and they were going to be a few hours longer. Gave them directions and headed back. Improved county road claimed a Goodyear Silent Armor on my truck. Stuck something through the tread with about a 1-1.5" cut. :eek::-\:mad: Killed the sidewall as I didn't realize it was flat until to late. Swapped to my Michelin spare. Trying to find a Goodyear in the area (or a tire store for that matter) is kinda tough. Chips tire in Moab or something in Price is where it's at. People in Green River with tire stores didn't seem to want to answer the phone. Chip had a tire that would work but was NOT going to be open on Sat. so he could go play Jeep. (can't blame the guy at all) Had to bust over there so I could get a tire before 5 pm. They got me fixed up.

On my way back, my neighbors killed a BFG AT (e-rated) on their Dodge. I got back just in time to help him change that to my Michelin that was easily accessible due to him having a slide-in on his truck. Had some dinner, played on the sand a little (atvs and Jeep).

Sat.-Played on the sand. Hung with the boys with the dirt bikes. Ran up the road a few miles and ran into Brett Davis. Their kids unloaded dirt bikes and hung down the road with my kids. Ran some more sand in the Jeeps and headed to Ten Mile Wash. Cool drive out there, but the wash is great. TIGHT for Jeeps, but a fun run. I ran it about 3 miles or so. It was getting late, and Brett had to bail with his Jeep. The neighbors ran down the wash a couple miles while my wife and daughter and I hung out and bs'd. (fourth time the wife's driven in the Jeep)

Sun.-packed up and headed home.

personal carnage total:

flatbed tire/wheel $100
"take off" tire for the pickup $25
Driveline CV---?? $75
Passenger side leaf springs (I'll just get all four or something??) $400ish
New Goodyear for the truck-- $200

Other things learnt:

CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS ON YOUR TRAILERS!!!!!

I walked around our camp at the Sand Dunes with my lug wrench. EVERY trailer I checked had loose lug nuts. Some had all of them loose and would have suffered a similar fate that I did.

iPhones are cool GADGETS but beyond sucky phones.

Attachments

• IMG_9347 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9347 (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9424 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9424 (Small).JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1800 (Small).JPG
    DSC_1800 (Small).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

LT.

I just got back yesterday afternoon. My Dad and I rolled into town on Thursday afternoon. We decided to head straight for the vendor show on Thursday and did a quick walk around. I saw Sarge at a booth he was working and asked him if he had seen Tacoma. I promised a box of cookies to Tacoma, and thought it best not to leave them at the show. The plan was to spend some time there on Friday so, I figured I would be able to drop them off then. Turns out, we were leaving the show on Thursday and we ran into Jared Jones who is the editor for Off Road Magazine. He was trying to do a feature on full sized rigs and was having a time finding many. We agreed to try and find some time on Friday.

Friday, I called Jared and he said he would get with me later in the day. We headed out to the vendor show, cookies and all, and I got a call from Jared saying he wanted to do a quick run up to the Crack and take some pictures. Well, we were also running with John and Nick Cappa and these fellas like to run fast. We ended up running Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, and Poison Spider in 5.5 hours. We were flat out moving across the trails and I even had to change a flat tire. What was ironic was that for some reason I had the right bolt and the right washer for a stranded buggy on the trail. 50 yards further down and there was an older Bronco that needed a jump start. After we got him started we went on to the Water Fall. On the Water Fall on Poison Spider my steering pump gave up the ghost. After some creative winching we were down and the pump worked just enough to get me off the trail under my own power. What was really cool is that even though I just meet Jared Jones, Nick Cappa, and John Cappa they went out of their way to help me out. There was another fella on the trail who was staying in the same camp ground as we were. He also lent a huge helping hand and I cannot remember his name. Whew.

Saturday, my Dad and I went into town looking for a new pump and wouldn't you know it, no one had one. It is a very common pump one found on Dodges and Chevy's alike. We were told that Tuesday would be the soonest we could get one. Since we were leaving on Thursday it really did not make any sense to stay. So, we played tourist all day on Saturday.

Sunday, we took down camp in the rain and filled up the truck with Diesel. Then we finished loading up and headed out of town.

Now for the regrets. I did not get a chance to run with any of the folks I really wanted to. When the truck broke it ended my options and we had to be content with hanging out with them at the Brewery. Cheston, Stan, Corey, Leroy, and Steve and their families. Maybe next time.

LT.

jason1

Rig that needed rescued at Area Bfe last night on Green Day. Broke his rear shaft then busted his front axle tube in half and had to be carried out.[YOUTUBE]NqKCQdBYGHU[/YOUTUBE]
THIS SUCKED. He broke at the top of greenday in the squeeze. I didn't think we were getting it out that night.

Badbuggy

rock star
First the vendor show....
P4210251.jpg

P4210258.jpg

P4210260.jpg