Ebola has hit the US for the first time ever

amp713

Its more disturbing that people are making such a big deal if you ask me...... Now the rumor is that these numbers are underestimated "By 6 September 2014, 4,293 suspected cases including 2,296 deaths had been reported.-from ebola." Yes thats a fair number killed, and it nastily turns you into goo so thats one reason to be worried BUT

"Now comes a study in the current issue of the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher — between 210,000 and 440,000 patients each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death."

So hundreds of thousands are dying from medical malpractice and medical mistakes a year, an estimated 100x more people than ebola. Why exactly are we freaking out ebola??? Because the government is trying to get you to???

Ebola shares some of the same symptoms as the common flu, which kills more people a year than ebola. ("The flu season, which has now been at epidemic levels for two straight weeks, may result in 36,000 deaths-2009 report) Yet for some reason we are setting up zones for those with ebola? So someone has the flu (ie ebola type symptoms) which lowers your immune system, send them to an area for those who may have ebola now introduce one guy with ebola and watch it possibly spread to everyone in the zone?? Seems like a way to promise spread and a big disease scare.

Did you know that "The virus may be acquired upon contact with blood or bodily fluids of an infected animal.[SUP][1][/SUP] Spreading through the air has not been documented in the natural environment."??? Its not just oh hey someone has ebola in the same county as me now we all get it, its actually mildly hard to contract.

Ok sorry for my rant here but the more you know the more of a threat you are.....

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I'm with you amp. It is a weak virus, and hard to contract. if an outbreak happens here. they will bee so all over it That it will not go far. besides we as a culture we do not wallow in in our dead's fluids. My wife is a health care provider. I am not in the least bit concerned about her getting ebola. She does work in the trauma dept. I'm more concerned about her getting shot by a gang member.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
... Why exactly are we freaking out ebola??? ...

well...

Unlike the malpractice you describe, Ebola has no cure or treatment.
Malpractice does not spread virally (the youtube definition of the word that is, i.e. exponentially quickly), nor does it have the potential to wipe out huge number of healthy people
People are 100% immune from malpractice unless they need medical attention.
Malpractice can't indiscriminately kill everyone you regularly come in contact with at home or work.
Also virus outbreaks invoke extreme fear to the mass population, malpractice doesn't. The psychological effects alone can have a real effect on how people go about and live their daily lives.

As if that's not a solid enough answer consider this...

I did a little research because I find this interesting...
"The CDC estimates that between 5 and 20 percent of the country's population [USA] gets the flu each year."

Lets say an avg of 12.5% of 319 million = 40 million get the flu each year

36,000 avg deaths per year... giving a mortality rate of .0092% (that's cute...)

Ebola outbreaks have a mortality rate of around 50-90%! (source: WHO factsheet) that's an up to 10,000 times higher mortality rate!
Just because there haven't been massive outbreaks or deaths yet doesn't mean anything at all. That's the easy part, it just needs the right conditions. The mortality rate is what's scary. If that same outbreak were Ebola it would have killed tens of millions very quickly, and ebola doesn't just mainly kill the very young, old, or weak like the flu.
Statistically and historically speaking, almost everyone who gets ebola WILL die from it within a week or so.
Granted, the west africa outbreaks didn't have anywhere near the medical attention as here in the US (would that have helped anyway?), but they were still aggressively contained by health organizations. Also outbreaks were somewhat intrinsically quarantined due to the separated small villages. With the amount of travel in the US an outbreak could be incomparably more widespread.

Like the flu, ebola is quite damn virulent and can mutate into new strains, and like the flu some are vastly more devastating than others (H1N1, H5N1 to name just a recent couple)

From the CDC factsheet:
"When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These
include:
• direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
• exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions"

And while not proven, there has been more than one situation where ebola was believed to be transmitted without direct contact, through the air.

Last edited:

jentzschman

This:
well...

Unlike the malpractice you describe, Ebola has no cure or treatment.
Malpractice does not spread virally (the youtube definition of the word that is, i.e. exponentially quickly), nor does it have the potential to wipe out huge number of healthy people
People are 100% immune from malpractice unless they need medical attention.
Malpractice can't indiscriminately kill everyone you regularly come in contact with at home or work.
Also virus outbreaks invoke extreme fear to the mass population, malpractice doesn't. The psychological effects alone can have a real effect on how people go about and live their daily lives.

As if that's not a solid enough answer consider this...

I did a little research because I find this interesting...
"The CDC estimates that between 5 and 20 percent of the country's population [USA] gets the flu each year."

Lets say an avg of 12.5% of 319 million = 40 million get the flu each year

36,000 avg deaths per year... giving a mortality rate of .0092% (that's cute...)

Ebola outbreaks have a mortality rate of around 50-90%! (source: WHO factsheet) that's an up to 10,000 times higher mortality rate!
Just because there haven't been massive outbreaks or deaths yet doesn't mean anything at all. That's the easy part, it just needs the right conditions. The mortality rate is what's scary. If that same outbreak were Ebola it would have killed tens of millions very quickly, and ebola doesn't just mainly kill the very young, old, or weak like the flu.
Statistically and historically speaking, almost everyone who gets ebola WILL die from it within a week or so.
Granted, the west africa outbreaks didn't have anywhere near the medical attention as here in the US (would that have helped anyway?), but they were still aggressively contained by health organizations. Also outbreaks were somewhat intrinsically quarantined due to the separated small villages. With the amount of travel in the US an outbreak could be incomparably more widespread.

Like the flu, ebola is quite damn virulent and can mutate into new strains, and like the flu some are vastly more devastating than others (H1N1, H5N1 to name just a recent couple)

From the CDC factsheet:
"When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These
include:
• direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
• exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions"

And while not proven, there has been more than one situation where ebola was believed to be transmitted without direct contact, through the air.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Political correctness is what has brought this disease to our shores.

To discount the risk of infection because you need to come into contact with human secretions is to ignore the fact that human secretions cover everything in our lives... especially urine, saliva, and feces.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

jentzschman

Curious, now that a second heath worker has been infected, flight on a flight the day before her symptoms which she possible had while on the flight while the CDC says the incubation period could be up to 42 days, oh wait I thought it was 21 days. Mr President, is Ebola coming here now? Oh, don't forget about the dog that has it. An officer is watching him day a night. "We go this"