Eco-Nazi's going after Mountain bikes now.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Having been an avid bike rider (and ought to be again...), it was funny when one day I'd be on a road bike and the MTB guys would laugh at me, or the next I'd be on my MTB and the roadies would laugh at me... Silly. And subgroups in each (liked fixed gear guys...).

Some bike guys only have beater cars to get their bikes to good places to ride, or to races or such. Some, like me, have multiple vehicles... And some are rabid anti-car (regularly participate in Critical Mass events).

But yes, everyone needs to work together to keep access for all.

We are all wanting the same thing so lets work TOGETHER to accomplish this.

But therein lies the problem. We aren't all on the same page or working for the same goals. It's nice marketing speak to expand the donor base of "multiple use" organizations, but the truth is that every rec group has their own view on access issues and their own priorities. Thus leading to the many quarrels and issues between various groups (atv vs mc, atv vs 4x4, mtb vs 4x4, equestrian vs 4x4, etc, and on and on).

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
But therein lies the problem. We aren't all on the same page or working for the same goals. It's nice marketing speak to expand the donor base of "multiple use" organizations, but the truth is that every rec group has their own view on access issues and their own priorities. Thus leading to the many quarrels and issues between various groups (atv vs mc, atv vs 4x4, mtb vs 4x4, equestrian vs 4x4, etc, and on and on).

I used to think that a multiple use organization was the answer, but everyone has a certain agenda that is closer to their heart so to speak. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I think folks will work more passionately for a cause that directly affects them. We should have the forthought to include other user groups in projects that will benefit them as well, if only to bridge the divide between other user groups.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
As usual someone has to take what I said and put their own spin on it.

Just for everyone's amusement I would say that on any given weekend I see at least 1000 bikes here in Moab, at that rate I would see 10,000 in 10 weeks. Then there are all those I see during the week, so 10,000 happens in an even shorter time. Clearly Tacoma has never been here.

Now I clearly said that I have had NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES with over 10,000 bikes in my life. Since I would say that I see more than 50,000 of the every year and I've been in Moab for damn near 40 years as well as being born in Monticello 46 years ago I think I can safely say I've seen and spoken to more than 1,000,000 of them.