Educate me on KTM enduros

Hunt

I've been looking at getting a KTM 690 enduro. Trying to find something used. Pluses/minuses, things to look out for on specific years? I just want something I can beat around on for a while unit I get settled here in Cali. Maybe commute the 10 minutes to work on every once in a while. I don't have a lot of room for my Jeep or Rhino at the moment and want to get out in the desert.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
IMO, the KTM 690 while badass... isn't problem-free. It seems like KTM pushed the EFI out too soon without enough tweaking and refinement, as it's problematic and easily upset by Ethanol added to gasoline. The 2008's have less suspension travel than the '09+ by (IIRC) 30mm? The '08's have issues with the rear shock assembly and the threads getting bugger'd up easily. There are newer 690 R's that have even more suspension. The bikes have known fuel pump issues, problems with the air filter box coming apart and letting dust get into the engine, past the filter, the fuel filter gets clogged up easily, etc.

The stock fuel tank doesn't hold much, 3.2 gallons... the bike amazingly averages 55-60 MPG, but it you really want to get out there, you will need to figure out additional fuel. I added Rally Raid tanks, they look better than the Safari Tank, IMO.

Oil change intervals are pretty good, 3,500 miles IIRC? Check the valves every other oil change, but the valves on these bikes really don't move much.

The engine, transmission and brakes are beautiful and work well together. It's a bike that really is in between so many of the other bikes out there today. I find that if I ride it like a 450 in the dirt, it will take everything I can dish out and just keep moving. It's way more capable off-road than the bigger Adventure bikes, simply a hoot on surface streets and plenty capable most everywhere else.

Start reading... - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722987

What else do you want to know?