EFI Engine Swap into CJ5, opinions please!

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Check out what Howell has to offer. I had one of their TBI kits on my 4.2 and liked it. I also just did a V8 swap and used one of their TBI harnesses. I think they offer good quality for a reasonable price and they have been helpful and easy to work with when I've had to call them.

Emissions-legal kit for the 304 (and other AMC V8s):
http://howellefi.com/customer/product.php?productid=16256&cat=272&page=1

Non-emissions version of above:
http://howellefi.com/customer/product.php?productid=16219&cat=272&page=1

These kits use GM parts wherever applicable which makes it easier to find parts locally as opposed to proprietary designs like Holley, Edelbrock, etc. You're more likely to find GM parts in the town near your trails and mechanics are more likely to be familiar with the system.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Not to ruin your excitement, but do a search on here for the word 'Projection'. I hated my Holley Projection, sometimes wish my Jeep would have burned to the ground when I had that EFI system on my SBC.

I've heard mostly negative things about holley pro-jection. My sense is if you enjoy tinkering around with mixture settings from time to time, then it's probably ok, but if you're looking for reliability and consistent performance, I'd look elsewhere. Not everybody will agree with this and I've heard from people who liked the system, but they are a minority.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
'few more things: 1st, I reccomend you consider keeping that rebuilt 304 if you're happy with it. I am just finishing up a V8 swap into a YJ and after the unexpected troubles and expenses (4x original budget) i feel like my time would have been better enjoyed on the trails and my money could have been spent on suspension, gearing, and other upgrades and still have money left over for beer. Not that I regret doing it -- the 4.2 had to go -- but if I had a fresh 304 and it had sufficient power, I'd add a TBI setup to it without hesitation and get back on the trail.

2nd, the shop that just finished my custom chip tune reccomended I stay with GM TBI instead of Holley because of poor Holley injector quality. Not sure if the reputation is deserved or not.

3rd, here is another option for you. I have no experience with or opinion of these guys, but maybe someone else here has.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=22&title=AMC/Jeep+Throttle+Body+Fuel+Injection

hope that helps.

Tallz

'few more things: 1st, I reccomend you consider keeping that rebuilt 304 if you're happy with it. I am just finishing up a V8 swap into a YJ and after the unexpected troubles and expenses (4x original budget) i feel like my time would have been better enjoyed on the trails and my money could have been spent on suspension, gearing, and other upgrades and still have money left over for beer. Not that I regret doing it -- the 4.2 had to go -- but if I had a fresh 304 and it had sufficient power, I'd add a TBI setup to it without hesitation and get back on the trail.

2nd, the shop that just finished my custom chip tune reccomended I stay with GM TBI instead of Holley because of poor Holley injector quality. Not sure if the reputation is deserved or not.

3rd, here is another option for you. I have no experience with or opinion of these guys, but maybe someone else here has.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/index.php?id=22&title=AMC/Jeep+Throttle+Body+Fuel+Injection

hope that helps.

Thanks HK for the added information. After researching the holley injection systems I too have realized that some systems are great and set up easily and others are a pain in the ***. I am looking at both propane and fuel injection and both have strengths and weaknesses. I am still a bit away from making a final decision and when I do, I will be that much more informed with good advice like this. Thanks.

blueovalyj

for just a little more work, you could also put ford injection on it. the extra work would be in the intake manifold. but you'd be getting mass air instead of speed density and multi port instead of tbi.

you'd have to swap the pins in the computer plug for the injectors to match your firing order, but other than that you should be in good shape. plus the 302 injection would match up better with your 304 to start with. i've seen lots of guys put "junkyard" TBI setups on jeep motors 304,360 and 401's only to realize they don't run exactly right.

plus there's tons of info on ford injection on the web. by the way, you'd be looking in the 89-93 mustang model year range.

just my .02

brokejeep

Go to binderplanet.com and look in the fuel injection tech section that is where I got a lot of information about my efi swap. I am running a chevy tbi on my 360 if you live up north(clearfield area) you more than welcome to come look and see whats involved