EJS 2024

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I got a call last night from the trails committee to see if I would gun on 2 new EJS trails called Lost World and Tommy Knocker. Lost World is a spinoff of the Crystal Geyser trail and Tommy Knocker is in the area of Jax Trax. They will be on the official trails available for EJS 2024. I'll have to pre run these with Devon Parson since I've never been in either area.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There's a lot in the works for EJS 2024. I'm curious to see it come together. My EJS experience will likely be almost nothing like it has been. I guess that's good and bad. We'll have to see how it goes. I can't remember when we usually get our actual assignments but I'm looking forward to knowing what's going down at least in my little world.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Those of you with RR4W volunteer accounts should be able to see your trail assignments as of sometime in the past 3-4 days.

Here's the trails that pertain to me.

1701622838141.png

Saturday 3/23/24
Hells Revenge
Gunner

Sunday 3/24/24
Poison Spider
Trail Leader

Monday 3/25/24
Sophomore Package 1
Dome Plateau
Trail Leader (I've got an awesome group of gunners)

Tuesday 3/26/24
Sophomore Package 1
7 Mile Rim
Trail Leader (same gunners and same participants as Monday)

Wednesday 3/27/2024
Sophomore Package 1
Fins and Things
Trail Leader (same gunners and participants as Monday-Tuesday)

Hells Revenge on the first Sat has always been fun. I think we've been gunning with Bart, Dave Laws, Matt, et all for over 10 years? My other assignments are a little daunting as I've been promoted to a Trail Leader in a big way. We'll see how that goes. I feel like I'm a great gunner as that's just kind of who I am on a trail ride anyway. I don't love to lead but maybe this will be more fun than I expect? This probably also explains my last few weeks of trips on 7 Mile Rim, Dome Plateau and Fins and Things :D ... I like to be prepared if I'm a leader. That way at least I'll know when I've screwed up with a route or whatever

Poison Spider on Sunday is a bit of a surprise as @Bart has led that for the past 3-4 years and Eric and I have gunned. I'm not familiar with Jack Hooper and Rich/Linda Shuker but we'll find a way to reach out to them and see if we can do a Pre-Run sometime. I find it cool if the trail leaders at least know each other and have some comradery

Myself, @gijohn40 , @ebryson and Jake Hornback will be leading the Sophomore Package 1 which consists of those trails. I think this is a solid group of trail leaders and we'll see how the Sophomore package goes. Rick Wolcott and his group have set a high standard and we'll try to do things as similar to them as we possibly can. Similarly, Roger Peck and Bill Wehrli have set a high standard for the First Timers Package (Freshman). There's a Junior Package as well but I'm not familiar with that group. I have heard that the "packages" are quite popular in that you have the same trail leaders each day along with the same participants.

When I helped with the First Timers Package 5+ years ago for 2-3 years, the comradery and friendships created were as big a part of the event as anything. I'm curious to see if the packages continue to grow?

Last edited:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Thinking about trying to make it this year. Any recommendations on a place to camp with a truck camper (prefer a place with hook ups). Would probably stick to easier trails since the scrambler is the only rig running and is not on 1 tons.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Thinking about trying to make it this year. Any recommendations on a place to camp with a truck camper (prefer a place with hook ups). Would probably stick to easier trails since the scrambler is the only rig running and is not on 1 tons.

From what I hear, you may have difficulty getting a spot at an improved campground with hook ups? Moab Rim Camppark has been very friendly to RR4W and off roaders in general. Back in the day, I used to stay at the one right in town across the street from the Moab Brewery (sort of)-McDonalds. I think it's Canyonlands or similar? I think you'll have to make a few calls and see what you can get?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
From what I hear, you may have difficulty getting a spot at an improved campground with hook ups? Moab Rim Camppark has been very friendly to RR4W and off roaders in general. Back in the day, I used to stay at the one right in town across the street from the Moab Brewery (sort of)-McDonalds. I think it's Canyonlands or similar? I think you'll have to make a few calls and see what you can get?
It used to be Canyonlands campground, Sun outdoors bought it a year or two back. We stay there every year for our dudes MTB trip. It's a nice place but they have raised prices sharply and also have a 3 night minimum now.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Was able to get a reservation at Sunset RV. Very small place, but had an RV spot for 22-26 Mar, so I reserved it. I also joined RR4W today.

Will need to complete setting up a hitch extension to be able to pull the trailer with the camper on the truck. Also need to decide which jeep to take (CJ-8 scrambler on 35's, FI SBC 350, needs some brake work - or - TJ on 40's that are 12 yrs old and hard as rock).

Anyways, I look forward to meeting more RME folks. Last time I wheeled Hanging tree was 2 years ago

mbryson

Supporting Member
Was able to get a reservation at Sunset RV. Very small place, but had an RV spot for 22-26 Mar, so I reserved it. I also joined RR4W today.

Will need to complete setting up a hitch extension to be able to pull the trailer with the camper on the truck. Also need to decide which jeep to take (CJ-8 scrambler on 35's, FI SBC 350, needs some brake work - or - TJ on 40's that are 12 yrs old and hard as rock).

Anyways, I look forward to meeting more RME folks. Last time I wheeled Hanging tree was 2 years ago

Good deal on finding a place to hang for the days. Accommodations go pretty fast from what I hear.

For EJS, I find it best to have a "chill" mental state (tough for me to do but has been really a good thing to be honest) and just find something else to enjoy rather than just the challenges of the trail. Given those choices, fix the brakes and bring the CJ8. Run some trails up to a "6" or "7" level and just enjoy the event and the comradery. That said, most trail leaders know people don't want to be on the trail until 7-8pm these days. The club itself (and the BLM permit) limits the number of participants helping with the reported heavy traffic times. I think limits are 35 on some trails and 25 on others. 10 on the Elephant Hill trail. Most trails I have helped on are back to town at 3:30-5:30 with very few exceptions (Elephant Hill for one... 90 minute drive down and a 90 minute drive back along with an epic trail with good trail leaders makes getting back to town at 7:30-9:30 perfectly acceptable in my opinion).

I will be a bit surprised if I get my Dome Plateau folks back to Moab before 5:00 but hope for about 5:30-6:30 pm. You get a 40ish minute drive to Dewey bridge on the way up to the trailhead and about a 40-50 minute drive back down the Colorado River gorge as a reward for the trail. For 7 Mile Rim, I hope to bump that up about an hour or so and hope to arrive back in town about 4:00-5:00. Fins and Things could be off trail about 3:30-4:30 (and possibly earlier?).

Hard to say for Poison Spider on Sunday? Bart's had us off the trail between 3:30-4:30 most years. I hope to hit that time if possible. I think we have the trail to ourselves on Sunday with trail monitors. In the past, we've had a pretty regular BLM guest here. Curious how that will go with the Labyrinth Canyon closures or if BLM will be keeping a low profile this year or increase their presence?

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Those of you with RR4W volunteer accounts should be able to see your trail assignments as of sometime in the past 3-4 days.

I logged in to check my status. I got most of my regular assignment:

Mon -- Metal Masher 10am gunner
Tue -- Elephant Hill leader
Thur -- Seven Mile Rim gunner

Missing from that list is my usual Wednesday assignment, which was a trail we lost (Day Canyon Point). I guess I will sign up for a trail as a tourist that day. Hmm, what to do? I see there is a run of Dome Plateau that day--I've never seen that trail, and Marc makes it sound interesting. Hmm.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Saturday 3/23/24
Hells Revenge
Gunner

Sunday 3/24/24
Poison Spider
Trail Leader

Monday 3/25/24
Sophomore Package 1
Dome Plateau
Trail Leader (I've got an awesome group of gunners)

Tuesday 3/26/24
Sophomore Package 1
7 Mile Rim
Trail Leader (same gunners and same participants as Monday)

Wednesday 3/27/2024
Sophomore Package 1
Fins and Things
Trail Leader (same gunners and participants as Monday-Tuesday)

I'm planning to jump on Black Dragon Canyon on Thursday and Fins and Things on Friday

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Looks like registration opens tomorrow for RR4W members

I just signed up for Dome Plateau on Wednesday as a tourist. I'm looking forward to seeing this trail.

According to the web site, the leaders for this trail are Robert & Marsha Humphreys, with Kevin Fox, Andy Bunn and Adam Morris as gunners.

Oh, and I see my Elephant Hill trail is already full of participants.

ebryson

Saturday 3/23
Gunning Fins and Things @10am

Sunday 3/24
Gunning Poison Spider

Monday 3/25
Gunning Dome Plateau

Tuesday 3/26
Gunning 7 Mile Rim

Wednesday 3/27
Gunning Fins and Things (yes again)

Thursday 3/28
Thinking of running Metal Masher.

Mbryson isn't joking about the awesome gunnars he has.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I got a call last night from the trails committee to see if I would gun on 2 new EJS trails called Lost World and Tommy Knocker. Lost World is a spinoff of the Crystal Geyser trail and Tommy Knocker is in the area of Jax Trax. They will be on the official trails available for EJS 2024. I'll have to pre run these with Devon Parson since I've never been in either area.

I'm interested in hearing about Lost World. Post up a report on that one. I haven't ever been out to Jax Trax or Tommy Knocker.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Registered for 3 days:
Saturday 3/23 - 7-mile Rim (10am)
Sunday 3/24 - 3D
Monday 3/25 - Lost World
Tuesday 3/26 - heading home

Keeping the trails easy as I haven't had the Scrambler on the trail before. Its on YJ leafs and regular (unassisted) steering. ARBs in waggy axles, so should be easy time. Transfer case is still picky and hard to shift (208). I'm used to the TJ on coilovers, 40's and full hydro steering, so driver needs to learn the new vehicle.

Any plans to meet up with RME folks?

I logged in to check my status. I got most of my regular assignment:

Mon -- Metal Masher 10am gunner
Tue -- Elephant Hill leader
Thur -- Seven Mile Rim gunner

Missing from that list is my usual Wednesday assignment, which was a trail we lost (Day Canyon Point). I guess I will sign up for a trail as a tourist that day. Hmm, what to do? I see there is a run of Dome Plateau that day--I've never seen that trail, and Marc makes it sound interesting. Hmm.
Tommyknocker on Weds with Sid.