"Emily" 2003 Ranger Edge= desert fun

Owners Name & City- Chadwick from West Bountiful, Utah

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Ford Ranger 2003

Engine- 4.0 sohc v6

Transmission-5 speed manual

T-Case-N/A

Axle- Explorer 8.8, 4.10 gears, spartan locker

Suspension- One-off dual a-arm design using a fabricated lift spindle. 4.5" wider per side than stock and cycling around 15" of wheel travel. Rear has u-bolt elims. All built by me.

Wheels and Tires-33x12.5x15 off-brand all terrain style. Black steel 15x8 with 3.75"bs

Winch-N/A

Favorite Trails- I am in love with the west desert. No favorite trails, I just wander.

Other-Still in the process and I am hoping she will be ready to rip soon.

What she looked like soon after I purchased.

And yes Emily is 2wd. Avidazen.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
I'm sure someone will be baffled so I had better clarify. The upper arm in the picture is actually the tool I use to dial in caster and camber. Get it where I want it and then pull it off to make the fixture.

D

Deleted member 12904

I dig it. I don't see a coilover, did you keep the torsion bars?

he text me a picture a week ago with some new swayaway coilovers saying happy birthday to me. So I'm sure after he gets the arms and uprights done he will start on the engine cage and mount the coilovers.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
he text me a picture a week ago with some new swayaway coilovers saying happy birthday to me. So I'm sure after he gets the arms and uprights done he will start on the engine cage and mount the coilovers.

Sweet. More pics will be necessary, and maybe a ride. :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm sure someone will be baffled so I had better clarify. The upper arm in the picture is actually the tool I use to dial in caster and camber. Get it where I want it and then pull it off to make the fixture.

Seems like a cool process to me. You're definitely building a bit of a different animal than most of us on here, but I think all of us on here appreciate good fab even if you don't have 4:1 transfer case :D

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur

Bingo bango and fox bumps

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
I've worked something like 21 hours between yesterday at 7am and now so this is about as motivated as I get... Posting some pictures that is.

here is a shot to compare the before width with just the wheels and 1.5" wheel spacers.
IMAG0455_zps5fb989fa.jpg

IMAG0412_zps37842e67.jpg

The sway away coilovers.

and my u bolt eliminators. Still need to take my overload out and make a bastard pack when I do my bedcage.

IMAG0414_zps31021da9.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Love it! Every time I drive out of Rattlesnake I wish I had a go fast project. I just beat my jeep to death and it's still fun

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
That's funny because every time I want to go fast I miss my jeep...

7e777f09.jpg

the tools and skill I have now...I really think I would have a fun xj. Anyway I did start the upper arm a couple hours ago.

sixstringsteve

Looking really good. I love the u-bolt eliminators. I wonder why more crawlers don't do that.

Last edited:

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
Looking really good. I love the built eliminators. I wonder why more crawlers don't do that.

Most guys are afraid of the lack of weld surface area. I wasn't worried obviously but I already have the file made so I guess I can tweak them little by little if I do get worried. I hate buying, replacing, and tightening u bolts so this was a good cheap option. I'm going to be building my own leaf pack so I'm sure I will be pulling them off a couple times.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
Looking nice, good work.
How do those stock racks hold up?
Not too bad from what I hear. I will need to make a clevis that will bolt to the rack and replace inner tie rod end ball socket deal. I'm planning to run a 3/4" inner heim and an outer 7/8 heim thanks to jakeums. If I don't bind the rack im hoping it holds up.