Enclosed trailers...

Caleb

I'm going to be picking up a small enclosed trailer for my bike. I think if I can keep 2-3 bikes in it, it would be more than sufficient so I'm thinking a 4'x8'-5'x8' size range. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid? The few things I'd like is a ramp rear door, a side door, not sure what else. Those that have or have had enclosed trailers for your bikes, what other things are nice to have (or must haves)?

Something like this is what I'm thinking. Budget, say $2500 or less.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You've got the basics covered, and the curb side door is a life saver. I went larger, and installed cabinets in the nose to store my riding gear and a few tools and spare parts. I would think you'll be happier with something in the 6' X 10' size.

I wanted to stand comfortably inside, so I also went seven feet tall. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake. Its a giant sail that's a bear to tow.

Take a look at Wright Brothers in Nephi, they were great to deal with.

Cascadia

Undecided
I had mine built to my liking 3ish years ago. I got a 6x12 v nose with rear ramp door and side door. I have used the side door probably 5 times and I use my trailer everyday. Mine is 6' tall but I would go for the 6'6" height. I hate ducking although you might not have to. I got mine in black but it gets really hot in the summer so I'd get gray next time. Is get a track system for the floor and possibly walls. Id always get a little bigger than you think you'll need. You'll be putting all your gear and gas and stands and your friends stuff in there too. Imagine fitting that all in a truck bed every time. It's just a pile of a stuff.

rholbrook

One of my riding buddies has a 6x12 We can get 5 bikes in it. I asked him his thoughts on it and he says the size works ok. He would go ft wider 2 longer if hauling 5 bikes. But it works ok. Easy to pull. If you go bigger most go to two axles which makes cost go way up. It's really nice to be able to keep everything dry. We have all hit our heads atleast twice rolling bikes in. You don't learn the first time apparently.

Corban_White

Definately get one tall enough to stand up in. Interior lights are nice too. Tracks on the wall and floors, you can never have too many tie down options. V-nose with some shelves/cabinets is nice for storage. Get tandem axles if going more than 10' long. Likely most of these options will take you out of your $2500 budget.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Not sure what you're using for a tow rig, or if that is a limiting factor at all, but I'd recommend going a little bigger than what you think you need. I know the purpose is for bikes, but it always seems that between those biking trips, your trailer will end up getting used for moving furniture, building materials, etc... which is great, since it makes justifying the purchase easier.

With the shorter lengths you've described, they'll be either 6' or 7' wide (not actual interior dimension), which is fine. I've always liked 8' wide trailers, since you can fit bikes sideways and not have wheel chocks to trip over. You can also sleep inside the same direction if you use it for camping. However, 8' wide trailers (under 14') are very rare. When I came across an 8' x 12' with a 7' interior height, I jumped on it. Those dimensions make it funky looking, but whatev.

Anyway, like people have said already, get one that you can stand up in. Ramp doors are nice, but not a big deal if using it for bikes, so I wouldn't pass up a good used one if it has the barn doors. If you use it for sleeping in, make sure it has good ventilation by way of roof vent or slider window (small window(s) that someone can't crawl through). Get a v-nose if you can (no reason not to, and it should help with mileage). I've got an aerodynamic bubble thing on mine, but I'm not convinced it makes a significant difference.

Attachments

• trailer100.jpg
    trailer100.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 30
  • trailer640.jpg
    trailer640.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 24

Caleb

Thanks for the info guys, this is helpful. To address a couple things that have been brought up, tow rig is a 2013 Towcoma, I actually specifically don't want too large so that it can't be used for other duties. I know how it goes having a trailer everyone can use (i.e. flatbed that gets used over and over to help people move :D ). I'd like to keep it small enough that I can pull it in to my third car garage, but I do have an 8' (or maybe it's 9') door so I don't think that'll be too big of a problem. I also want to keep it a single axle. Being able to standup would be nice, didn't think about that. I like the idea of 8' wide, but that gets to the multi-use category, something I'll definitely need to consider. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have a 6x12. I have built racks inside on the floor to hold moto tires. We keep 3 bikes in the back 8', and can have just enough room upfront for gear and such. I can also hold the 3 big bikes, plus the 4 kids bikes.. but it leaves zero extra room. it does seem a little bigger than I need at times, but It does what I want very well.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I have a 6x12 V nose Haulmark, I think I paid $3200 new for it and it was $100 more then a 6x10 and weighed 100 lbs more. I tow it behind a Dodge Nitro and I can put 3 bikes and gear in it and it pulls great. I looked at a lot of used trailers that would have saved me 4 or 5 hundred dollars but after looking at a few I decided that I would buy new and not have to worry about replacing bearings and dealing with any problems right off the bat.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I have a 6x12 V nose Haulmark, I think I paid $3200 new for it and it was $100 more then a 6x10 and weighed 100 lbs more. I tow it behind a Dodge Nitro and I can put 3 bikes and gear in it and it pulls great. I looked at a lot of used trailers that would have saved me 4 or 5 hundred dollars but after looking at a few I decided that I would buy new and not have to worry about replacing bearings and dealing with any problems right off the bat.

This sounds like a winner Caleb, for what you're wanting to do (you could probably get away with a 10' if the 12' is a tad long). What's the interior height and does it have brakes on that axle?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I think the interior height is 6'6" on mine, it doesn't brakes on it but I have loaded it to the top with camping gear (literally the top) and pulled it down Payson canyon and didn't heat up my brakes. I have thought about swapping axles on it and throwing brakes on it but it still is under my towing rating at its loaded gvw, so I guess it would depend how much weight and what the tow vehicle is.

Caleb

This sounds like a winner Caleb, for what you're wanting to do (you could probably get away with a 10' if the 12' is a tad long). What's the interior height and does it have brakes on that axle?

I think it does too. I'm going to start checking some of these trailers out in person. It'll sure be nice to have an enclosed for my bike and related crap :D

Caleb

I haven't yet. I've looked at a few different dealers so far and while I'm really liking the idea of a 6x10-6x12 I'm still kind of leaning towards a 5x8. I don't want to struggle with my towcoma every time I tow it around. Right now, I'm really leaning towards the Look trailers.

I still need to go chat with rholbrook's buddy and see what he can do.