Engine Swap Questions

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
Anyone out there have an engine swap while using the stock transmission? I was curious as to how the Transmission still works with it being 1/4" to 3/4" more away from the flywheel? From what i am thinking, wouldnt that (in theory) be more detremental to the input shaft, if it would reach at all. How do you guys prevent any serious damage to this?

I allready have the engine that i want to use, and was about to get my adapter cut, when i thought i might need something else as well cut. Any help would be great!!

BTW: The engine is a 3.1 MPFI 90* V6 running Dual Alternators, snorkel setup, waterproofed, etc etc... off a Fiero.

-Karl "Fiero" Jones
-AOL Tech Support

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
I have no idea and really can't help but I think that if you posted exactly what you have and what you are trying to swap in it would clarify for others to offer suggestions.

ie. I have XX car with XX motor. I'm trying to swap YY motor in.

Just a suggestion.:cool:

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
I have a 1986 suzuki Samurai, and i want to put in a Chevy V6 motor, while still using the stock 5speed tranny. Do you have to do anything to the flywheel to space it closer to the tranny, to compensate for the adapter plate? Anyone who has done an engine swap with an adapter plate, please let me now how you did it!! Any help at all, please!

-Karl

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Originally posted by FieroJones
I have a 1986 suzuki Samurai, and i want to put in a Chevy V6 motor, while still using the stock 5speed tranny. Do you have to do anything to the flywheel to space it closer to the tranny, to compensate for the adapter plate? Anyone who has done an engine swap with an adapter plate, please let me now how you did it!! Any help at all, please!

-Karl

This is better info. Nobody knew what you were talking about in your first post.

I don't have the answers since I don't know anything about Sammy's. To be totally honest I'd suggest that you re-post the question with a different subject.

Something like need Sammy engine swap info or something similar. That way the guys who have the knowledge will see the post and respond.

Hope this helps
Scott

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if you think a sammy tranny is going to take more than 150 hp you are smokin dope:D seriously though, you cant do it. it is like sticking bicycle tires on a corvette. just not a good idea. get you a nice muncie 4 speed and slap it on the back of that chevy 4.3 and you will be happy. you will not find any adaptors for that kind of swap anywhere because everyone that makes adaptors would call you crazy like they called me crazy when i asked.
http://www.suzukiconversion.com/
there is the URL for the only people that do this conversion with chevy trannies though. now the other problem is that is you are too tough on it, you will scatter the diffs if you even look at the gas pedal the wrong way. you are in for a heap of trouble with that kind of pony power under the hood of a zuk. if you put d-44 axles and chevy power in there, you will be fine!!! :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds like a its time to rethink the build-up. Might as well add 18" of wheel base, coil overs, 37" Swampers and run with it!

Good luck!

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
You'd be surprised what the 5speed will hold up to. And its a built 2.8, NOT a 4.3 (which is essentially a V8 with the last 2 cyliders whacked off. Too much) I have seen this swapped into 3-4 Sammy's when i worked at National Tire and Battery, and all the owners i talked too said that they would do it again. But at the time, i was building V8 Fiero's, not V6 Sammy's, so i never pryed into the workings :) As to asking if it would hold up, i woulda thought that with gearing, wheels, etc etc you would twist a driveline, snap a hub, or something along those lines before you lost a Tranny. Besides, its not for racing, just driving and crawling. Anyone got any input on my original question?

Thanks!!

-Karl

Caleb

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2.8L is a 60* V6 and the 4.3L is a 90*...I think this is what was confusing people...with that said is that the same motor thats in the 84-86 cherokees...if so I would be a little leary about it...I know that every one I have dealt with has been nothing but problems...but being that you already have it...I guess run what you brung...Call AA and talk to them...they should be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have:D

Too Far

parts is parts
Some of the commercially available kits use a small spud shaft to make up the difference in width due to the adapter plate. Yes the 2.8,3.1,3.4 are the 60* motors. A lot of the isuzu guys that have the 2.8 are replacing them with the 3.4. Either the GM performance crate motor or the 3.4 that came in mid '90's cameros.
I havent seen your particular aplication, but it you could make a steel adapter plate that was .25" or less you might be able to make it work without any other mods. One thing to check on is where the pilot bearing and the clutch/flywheel is going to be on your new motor. If this assembly sticks out further than the stock sammy motor you might need a thicker adapter plate to make things mate up properly. I cant say for sure, but it is unlikely that the Gm motor and the sammy motor have exactly the same spacing from the mounting surface on the block and the clutch/flywheel assembly. The best case senario would be that the GM clutch sits further out from the block than the sammy unit. Then you could just make the adapter plate make up the difference and you would be in business. The 3.1 that came in '91-'92 rodeos made 140 HP and 170LB*Ft . That ought to scoot a sammy around quite well. The car versions likely made more HP too.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
goodness gracious that 2.8 is a pile!!! i had a buddy that had that piece of crap in his mid 80's blazer. he went through those things like crazy. they have to be the biggest abortion of a motor ever produced by GM. if you have it built right i suppose it could be semi-reliable. i wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole:D if you are gonna do a swap into a zuk go with the sidekick 1.6 FI of if you wanna get out of control there are several guys that have done that mazda rotary swap. engine/tranny and move the t-case back about 4 inches and you now have a 130MPH samurai!!! well maybe not but i know of guys that are getting close. hell i know a guy down orem way that has a health stock 1.3 with flat topped pistons, cam, and weber carb, that sucker is a fire breathing gerbil !!:cool: he can hold 95 on the freeway. you sound like you are venturing into uncharted territory(see picture below) let us know how it turns out.

-Spence
eternal pesemist

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Please tell me i didn't hera that someone wants to swap in a 2.8 v-6 carbed motor out of a mid 80's s-10!! OMG my buddie had a blaser. POS truck all around.the starter and alt, cost more than alot of other import cars. I think the alt was 150$ and starter was about the same. The carb took specialty tools to adjust but then some POS chip inside the carb controled mixture anywways. But now I think didn't he say a 90 injected? I dunno if they got any better. Why not get a toy for a couple grand and pull a v-6 5speed and older t-case. My buddie superrunner does a supra I6 swap thats just wicked.
Anyways for your Q... If the sami trans runs a pilot bearing then the input shaft needs to be snug to the block/bearing. If it doesn't then i think you would be ok. Toy does both ways. If the pilot bearing is there but not in tight then the input bearings will see premature wear do to increased torque and fatigue. But for now untill $ is better it should work as long as you have enough splines to hold it all together.

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
Wow... I sure did stir up the rats nest... Here goes with an explanation..

The Engine is a 2.8 FUEL INJECTION engine out of a Fiero. The engine is radically differfent from the 2.8 POS that was in the Blazer. The Block is different, they come with roller rockers, forged pistons, etc etc etc.. In all my 2.8 V6 Fiero's, the engines run well into the 150k's before I either sell the car, or throw in a V8. The engines are some of the most reliable I have ever seen, and are also inexpensive to repair and maintain.. Rant Mode Off..

Soo as to the Engine aspect of it, i DO want to run this motor. And since it is a FWD motor, unfortunantly, I can't just throw in a Tranny too, and call it good. I'm going to look into the tolerances of the Input shaft and etc.. and see if I have to build up a RWD 2.8 with all the FWD 2.8 Goodies, and use an Auto Tranny behind it, I'll keep ya posted as to what it does, and when i do get it in, I'll be sure to keep a tow rope in with me to help you guys get to the top :D :D

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Originally posted by Skyetone
or to help beg for a tow when your uncharted teritory gives you fits :D Different is good......sometimes

More truth to that than meets the eye with this particular swap. I'd say that the FWD/RWD thing will cause too many problems to feasible be practical.

BTW - you mentioned in another reply that you've talked to several other's who have done 2.8 swaps. Were these the POS Chevy 2.8 motors or the "cool" 2.8 Fiero motors?
Scott

FieroJones

It's not a Sports Car?
2 of them where the Carb 2.8 out of various year blazers/S10, one was a MPFI 2.8 out of a Fiero. All of them rebuilt there motors, and one guy had almost 40k on it since rebuild/install with no problems.