engine swap shops

UVRUGBY

I have been trying to find a good shop that can swap motors in a fairly decent amount of time, that isn't going charge a arm and a leg.
Does anybody have a suggestion for shops? Thinking about swaping a 4.3L vortec into a '90 toyota pickup, keeping the r150 tranny out of the yota.

Thanks in advance. :D
RJ

airmanwilliams

I have been trying to find a good shop that can swap motors in a fairly decent amount of time, that isn't going charge a arm and a leg.
Does anybody have a suggestion for shops? Thinking about swaping a 4.3L vortec into a '90 toyota pickup, keeping the r150 tranny out of the yota.

Thanks in advance. :D
RJ

I would suggest calling Family Auto in Bountiful and ask for Lee to see if he would take it on either personally or at the shop. That guy is a motor genious and I wouldnt trust my vehicles with anyone else. Tell him Brandon sent ya.

UFAB

Exhaust, trans adapter, possibly drive lines extended and shortened, shifter adjustment, fuel lines/ pressure, air intake, ignition wiring, Oxygen sensors, computer mounting, radiator supports and mounts, hoses, motor mounts, steering hydro lines, oil pan clearance

Just a few minor details that add up...

Engine is the cheapest investment.

Preventing it from overheating, having exhaust leaks, passing emissions will cost the green backs..

Good luck

Coco

Give Lung Automotive a call in Lehi. He does great work, and is fairly quick. Let him know Colton sent ya.

sixstringsteve

With all things in life, you can get work that's fast, quality, or cheap. Pick any 2.

Last edited:

UVRUGBY

Exhaust, trans adapter, possibly drive lines extended and shortened, shifter adjustment, fuel lines/ pressure, air intake, ignition wiring, Oxygen sensors, computer mounting, radiator supports and mounts, hoses, motor mounts, steering hydro lines, oil pan clearance

Just a few minor details that add up...

Engine is the cheapest investment.

Preventing it from overheating, having exhaust leaks, passing emissions will cost the green backs..

Good luck

With a donor truck most of this will be included. With a 4.3 I just have to supply tranny adaptor which will take care of tranny drive lines, shifter. The beauty of this swap is that it is done so much that the tranny adaptor out there connects to stock yota tranny, so engine mount is only true mount.
Plus they have headers and 4 core rads already built and designed for this swap. But thank you for info, there were a few things I didn't think about.

UFAB

Donor vehicles are nice to have, just handling parts three or more times and modifying them can take a few extra hours. Time is expensive, parts are as well. When the swap is completed, it's worth every penny when done correctly.

Team1k

UFAB, Out of curiosity what would be a popular engine people swap into YJ's and what does it usually cost them? My jeep is getting way bad lifter noise so ill be looking into a swap some time next year. Ive come up with 3 options:
1.) If im going to do it myself i figure my only option would be to buy one of the $3000 strokers from the quadratec catalog that bolt in and use the stock computer system.
2.) Ive also wondered if a local shop could build mine into a stroker during a rebuild and if that would save me money, but i dont know of any shops.
3.) Have a shop put in a v8 so i get some real power like i want, again not sure of what engine, shop, etc....

Any thoughts/input would be most appreciated :)

Edit: Sorry i dont mean to hijack

UVRUGBY

Ah no worries this thread is meant for engine swap shops so this is ok question. One thing I have been reading is that the 5.7 vortec swap is popular in the jeeps, any jeeps, and there are swap adapters for this swap into the jeeps. I have come across many parts from doing research on my swap for the jeep swaps.

4biker

Thread resurrection!

OK, it's come to this. I don't want to sell the 4Runner, but the mileage is getting up there. I don't want to rebuild or get another 3rd gen because I'm sick of the v6 lameness. I don't want to rebuild and put a supercharger on because most used SC's are old and need a rebuild (some parts for which are getting really scarce), and then I've got a rattly, whiny engine compartment that eats belts for a living. I'd love to swap to a DC tacoma with all of my accessories, but they're stupid, stupid, stupid expensive and again with the v6. I have been looking at full-size pickups but they are more than I need, and will likely not even fit in my garage. The closest thing I've come loving is the Honda Ridgeline - I know, don't say it. 4th gen 4Runners are all high-miles for the money, so they're in line after the Ridgeline.

Doing a little checking around has led me to look at the real possibility of doing a 1uz or 2uz (Lexus 4.0 or Toyota 4.7) V8 swap. I can apparently get a JDM 1uz with tranny and computer/harness for around $2000 with around 44k miles on it (if I can believe the ebay listing). I could honestly get a donor vehicle for the accessory stuff for under $1000 as well, so it's a real possibility. Anyway, showing I've done my research, I've been on the phone with Panos - he said he'd ask around for me since he's all booked up. I talked to Lung Automotive - he said he'd look around for me since he does primarily domestic stuff. I chatted with Lee at Family Auto in Bountiful and he said no way on swaps, just the diagnostic stuff afterwards.

There's a whole website dedicated to the swap (lextreme.com), and this is super common in Australia. There are guys all over the interwebs that have done it, so it can't be that complicated. I really think this is the way to go, if I can get it done. Unfortunately, it took me a year and half to weld a box to a trailer, so there is no way I can do this in my spare time.

The question of the day is: does anyone know of any person or shop that will handle a 1uz or 2uz swap?

rholbrook

The problem is for someone who makes a living turning a wrench cant make a living on engine swaps unless it is a direct replacement. By the time they get everything dialed in, they are way over their budget. If you gave them a blank check I am sure you could get it done on an hourly basis. There are a lot of unknowns if its something that they havent done.

4biker

That's a great point - and certainly valid. I just hate to give up on the idea just because it's hard.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The problem is for someone who makes a living turning a wrench cant make a living on engine swaps unless it is a direct replacement. By the time they get everything dialed in, they are way over their budget. If you gave them a blank check I am sure you could get it done on an hourly basis. There are a lot of unknowns if its something that they havent done.

Completely agree.

While we were doing the books for BHR, I was always blown away at how much they charged for a motor swap. Now that I'm doing one on our rig, it's coming into perspective very quickly. I have currently spent nearly $7k on parts alone, and it's not even running yet. In a few weeks when it's closer to done, I will post all the parts used and my total cost.

That's a great point - and certainly valid. I just hate to give up on the idea just because it's hard.

Don't give up. Buy a cheap civic to drive while you're doing the swap, and just do it yourself. Or like rholbrook said, open up your wallet, and don't be surprised if it costs you $20k.

Last edited:

chadschoon

Then try and build a buggy with all the best parts and wonder why shops charge so much and most aren't I'm business anymore.

See Ben all the little things you don't think of all add up and there's always more :) you'll be beyond happy with it though.

richpblaze

Do It Yourself great learning experience and you will know your rig inside and out. If not be prepared to spend the $$$$$$$$$ and don't take a lowball bid because they will get you hooked and add more later. I went with the 4.3 and I now wish for the LS2 not for power I am at like 300.1 gear ratio, I want the LS rumble. But I also knew this going in so it will be an easy swap when I'm ready.