Engine Swaps

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Ive been givin the go ahead form the wife to swap a V8 into the XJ. She figures since Im putting the 1t axles in, I should match.

Questions:

1. I was told (by state emmisions office) if I stayed with a V8 from a like vehicle (Jeep, AMC, Etc) That I could still register for road driving as long as I kept all the emmisions garbage. If I go with a AMC 360, is the trannie worth a squirt and will a D300 mate to it to eliminate the offset of the quadratrac?

2. If I were to ditch the stock trans from a AMC, would a chebby torkflight or similar top shift auto fit?

3. Should I just say screw it, and go Chevy drivetrain, 350/tubo/300?

4. Any other suggestions?

I still have to get Johnnies POS out of the garage, but I will be starting and done before Spring.

I was thinking AMC since there long lifers, cheap as all gets, and if I have to keep the whole drivetrain, the 44's arnt that bad of a deal.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It's been a while, but if I remember right the swap has to be your year or newer so that shoots the AMC idea out the window... I'd beef up the 4.0, and save yourself a ton of hassles. There's a ton of new emission rules in the planning stages, and it's going to get worse. I'd try to keep it stock looking under the hood.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
BCGPER is right, plus it will cost less and probably get done faster. If you have to go V8, go with a chevy engine, trans, and t-case. The aftermarket for the FI crap will save your can when compared with oddballs like amc motors. Also, you can get one new enough to be emissions compliant (although it will still be a pain).

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
To answer the questions before I run off at the keyboard w/opinion LOL

1. The TH400 offered in pre-80 FSJ's is indeed 'worth a squirt". Yeah, you can adapt it.
2. AMC's after 80 came with a Torqueflite 727. Or yeah, Chevy stuff will work.
3. If you're bent on v8, yes.
4. see below.

A v8 is a tight fit. Personally I'd be into a built 4.3 or something, or the stroker 4.6.
I never really ran out of motor with the 4.0 offroad. Plus all the emissions BS makes it rougher. Plus the lack of framerails in the XJ's make it a little tougher to dick around w/ mounting stuff.

Doable, but so's farting Yankee Doodle through a keyhole. :eek:

cheapzuk

I cant remeber for sure about engine swaps but i know that it has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle. and I THINK it has to pass the same emission standards as the factory engine. but that shouldnt be a problem if it is tuned right and has a cat.

way2nosty

cheapzuk said:
I cant remeber for sure about engine swaps but i know that it has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle. and I THINK it has to pass the same emission standards as the factory engine. but that shouldnt be a problem if it is tuned right and has a cat.

or you have a friend of a friend who will let you borrow his 2003 chevy and use its numbers on the emissions ticket

-or go deisel doesn't need emissions! DURAMAX DURAMAX DURAMAX - and it probabbly weighs in at about the same as the 4.0

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
1. I like to be different, how many lifted XJ's are out there with either 35's or 37's and a set of exact axles as you have?

2. The uniframe will be sleaved with plate, I have done this on almost every XJ I have had and just havnt gotten to this one yet.

3. I dont have to stay with emmissions, I would just like to.

4. The reason I consider the AMC or older engines is, well, Im nostalgic, I think its cool to keep as much as you can Jeep.... (nevermind the fact its getting a mix of ford and chevy axles :D )

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
way2nosty said:
or you have a friend of a friend who will let you borrow his 2003 chevy and use its numbers on the emissions ticket

-or go deisel doesn't need emissions! DURAMAX DURAMAX DURAMAX - and it probabbly weighs in at about the same as the 4.0

Umm.......my diesel needs emissions. '99 F*rd (and I'd rather have a Cummins rather than a Powerstroke OR a Duramax any day)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I'm sure any and of the big diesel motors will weight about as much as your XJ itself LOL. Ever thought about a liberty diesel swap?? Probably cost some cash but the cool factor is there.

JoeT

Question is, how long do you expect to keep your sheet metal from tearing apart? Some have compare a XJ v-8 swap to welding a anvil to sheetmetal and expect the sheetmetal to last. Not trying to knock your idea. I myself have done Buick 231 into a Chevy LUV longbed and a V8 Chevy LUV swap. Yes both were abonimations that haul butt. A stroked supercharged 4.6 would be wicked in your XJ. Check on (zipping NOMEX suit) JU on this as there are several that have done this swap. Good luck and make sure you post lots of pics. I think your idea of sleaving the uni-body is good. Maybe add a full interior rollcage or exo cage to kill the uni-body flex.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
JeepinJoe said:
Question is, how long do you expect to keep your sheet metal from tearing apart? Some have compare a XJ v-8 swap to welding a anvil to sheetmetal and expect the sheetmetal to last. Not trying to knock your idea. I myself have done Buick 231 into a Chevy LUV longbed and a V8 Chevy LUV swap. Yes both were abonimations that haul butt. A stroked supercharged 4.6 would be wicked in your XJ. Check on (zipping NOMEX suit) JU on this as there are several that have done this swap. Good luck and make sure you post lots of pics. I think your idea of sleaving the uni-body is good. Maybe add a full interior rollcage or exo cage to kill the uni-body flex.

There will be a cage there in the next couple of weeks when I get the time to get into the shop and do it.

I still think with a sleeved chassis the V8 will hold just fine. I f I sleeve again from the inside and bottom using 4x4x1/4 angle iron, theres a whole lot more bracing than needed.

Drew - I thaught about using a Wj 5.4, but since I hate wiring I wanted to k.i.s.s (keep it simple stupid). I dont want to deal with a wiring harness, or a computer of any kind. Hell it gives me a cold sweat thinking about it.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I just hate carbs :D. FI is so much better. If you pull a motor out of a GC you have all the stuff needed. If you plan on doing a FI motor you are going to have to deal with wiring and a computer anyways. I agree with you on the K.I.S.S. statement but unless you propane it... which BTW is what the guy I was wheeling with yesterday on his truck... you are going to be shooting yourself in the foot.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
That propaned truck I wheeled with yesterday was AWESOME!! Dual propane carbs, we were on plenty of wild tippy spots and steep spots and that thing just kept going!! It didn't even skip once!

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
PierCed_3 said:
I just hate carbs :D. FI is so much better. If you pull a motor out of a GC you have all the stuff needed. If you plan on doing a FI motor you are going to have to deal with wiring and a computer anyways. I agree with you on the K.I.S.S. statement but unless you propane it... which BTW is what the guy I was wheeling with yesterday on his truck... you are going to be shooting yourself in the foot.

I dont know Ive seen Ski do some amazing things on a Carb....

edit: Well except when he chokes it out himself.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Ask him how many times he's thought about FI though :D. I know he's mentioned it to me more than once. I agree that he has done some awesome stuff in his 7 but imagine how much more it could do. Not that it hasn't done everything he has pointed it at...