Jeep failing fuel pump?

diablokicks

I need to know some symptoms of a failing fuel pump. My 99 wrangler idles high and low (up and down rpms), when in first or second and not giving it any gas it will buck, i need to prime it (turn key on and off and on and off) before starting it or it will just crank and not turn over. It seems very sporadic with the idling, and sometimes it will die on me when trying to start from a stop, a hard stall i guess you could call it. Are these all symptoms of a failing fuel pump? Is there any cheap/free way to test the fuel pump?

Thanks again for the help

pj

diablokicks

oh and also on recalls i saw something about a fuel pump, but im not sure if this would apply to my fuel pump, anyone know anything about this?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I had similar issues with my yj. Turned out to be the filter. Also harbor freight sells a fuel pressure testing kit for about $20, not sure if that would help you.

diablokicks

Problem with the fuel filter though on a TJ is its in the tank, so if i'm going to change that i should just do the filter as well

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the idling high then low is sometimes a sign that a vacuum hose has some lose... and I think that I might have a fuel pump test kit I will have to go look...

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Another problem I had with my yj (hopefully they fixed iton the tj) is the fuel pump supply line inside the tank had a 90 degree angle in the hose designed from the factory and would get a hole in every once in awhile and it would just squirt the fuel inside the tank resulting in similar problems.

diablokicks

The only thing that is making me not think it could be the fuel pump is today it drove fine, i would think maybe if it was the fuel pump it would constantly be acting up?? Maybe i'm wrong?

jeepspeedtj

Is your check engine light on?

I would say with the idling problem it kinda sounds like a IAC problem. Unplug it and make sure the connector is clean and then plug it back in. I was having a similar problem and that is what it ended up being on my tj.

utekrawler

My fuel pump on my YJ went out with out any warning and then the new one i put in was faulty.. i had to prime minen (key on and off, on and off,...) constatly and sometimes the battery would die before it started.. i tested it by droping my tank and disconnecting the hoses but keeping the wires connected. then turn the key to start and see if it pressurizes and squirts gas out.. if it does that it might be fuel filter or fuel lines.. other wise its your fuel pump. i replaced it after this and have had no problems at all.. it runs like a charm! let me know what happens!

diablokicks

There is no check engine light, and thats the problem utekrawler is its still working, if i dont prime it it will crank and crank and crank before it turns over, but it will eventually turn over. You still think thats the best way to check it?

diablokicks

well i Cleaned the IAC, now i have a check engine light, i'll see how she runs now, and get the code cleared, something tells me thats not going to be all that was causing the problem, but i can hope

Silly Willy

Easy way to check the fuel pump is prime the line, then check the pressure on the fule rail with a tire pressure gauge, it should be between 40 and 60 psi if not is a sign of a failing fuel pump. Its not a flawless test but it has been enough for me to replace one.

but I had the exact symptoms on my XJ and it turned out to be the O2 sensor

diablokicks

Thats a good idea..... Where is the fuel rail? Also how well does the tire pressure gauge fit? I'm down to give it a shot. Also how many times should i prime it? maybe 3 leavin it on for about 3-4 seconds?