Fast opinions, sewer pipe repair

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Need opinions before handing $1200 to a plumber....
I have a small 1" crack in a 3" cast sewer pipe. Started leaking after plunging the toilet above it. The leak is in the bell of the coupler where it goes into the straight pipe out to the sewer. To replace it is $1200, because it is the y-pipe and drains from the kitchen, lots of connections....
OR the guy at Home Depot said to epoxy it and it will last forever since there is no pressure....
So any experience or opinions on such matters??

chadschoon

lots of connections??? If its cast iron you should be able to undo the bands and take out the bad piece and replace it. $1200 :-\ who was the plumber you called?

try these guys next time ;) schoonover plumbing (801)768-4021

Chevycrew

I would JB weld as well, clean it really good and fix. You could even wrap a fiberglass tape over the JB weld while wet to make it even stronger.

If it fails, you are out $10.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Take a picture.. but I would say some epoxy and one of the rubber connector things put around it with its metal band thing would be more than good enough.. the only problem would be if it creates a bump in the pipe for 'stuff' to get stuck to :( but if you can reach in and make sure it doesn't have a huge lumpy thing you should be ok :)

del0075

depends on how old it is, it could be the lead and oakem, and not the no hub band type. if it is leaking in one spot it could be getting thin in more than that one place as well. 1200.00 seems high to me, but without being able to see it, cant really say.........

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Who knew there were so many poo-pipers here....
Thanks guys! We got it handled for a lot less then the original quote. Another friend took care of us. I had to act fast, both Keeley and Angie had the "Rocky Mountain Quick Step" and we had no flush!! Not a good shituation to be in.
The original clog that started the whole thing was found by SECOND guy we had out. The first guys machine came up short at a little over 100ft. The clog ended up being about 150ft out! Come to find out.