Fee Changes For Little Sahara

ricsrx

My email got returned undeliverable....How did she know I work for the Post office??????:eek:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Wow....just wow.

I don't think we should be that surprised at this kind of attitude no matter how it hurts. I remember doing all that was illegal in Cal. because of the feeling that it is going to be taken away might as well enjoy it while we can. 30 years later there is a lot of trails open but it is because people have become active and participated in the scene. Lets not become complacent and just "use it as long as we can".

Don B

formerly rebarguy
The address for written comments is;

BLM Fillmore Field Office
35 East 500 North
Fillmore, Utah 84631

I'd recommend sending a written comment even if you have gotten the email to go through. Forwarding copies to the state office is a good idea also

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I see that the BLM has added new info to the website.

Looks like they are adding day use permits back in due to the "feedback" that they have received so far from the public.

Stay tuned for updates

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Proposed Changes to Special Recreation Permit Fees

at the Little Sahara Recreation Area

Type of Permit
Current Fees
Proposed Fees

Single-Day Permit *
$8.00 per vehicle

$10.00 per vehicle on holidays
No longer available

Day-Permit **
Not currently available
$8.00 per vehicle

$10.00 per vehicle on holidays

No overnight camping

Two-Night Camping Permit **
Not currently available
$25 per vehicle

$30 per vehicle on holidays

Seven-Night Camping Permit **
Not currently available
$40.00 per vehicle

Annual Permit
$75.00 per vehicle
$120.00 per vehicle

Annual Permit for 2nd Vehicle
$50.00 per vehicle
$65.00 per vehicle

Senior citizens would continue to receive a 50% discount on all Little Sahara fees.

* Includes one night and allows visitors to stay until 2:00 p.m. the following day

** Under the proposed plan, visitors would be able to recreate from dawn to dark on the day the pass expires.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So I've been working on my comment and finally had a chance to review all the pertinent information. It really seems like KSL started this panic, stating that "Under the proposal, the annual vehicle pass would jump from $75 to $120. The one-day pass, which currently costs $8 per vehicle, $10 on holidays, is being scrapped entirely.

Instead there will be a two-day pass for $25, $30 on holidays or a new seven-day pass for $40."

But, according to information provided by the BLM, this is NOT the case:

"What are the proposed fees?

Answer:
Day-Permit - $8 per vehicle, $10 per vehicle on holidays - no overnight camping
Two-Night Camping Permit - $25 per vehicle, $30 per vehicle on holidays
Seven-Night Camping Permit - $40 per vehicle
Annual Permit - $120 for 1st vehicle and $65 for 2nd Vehicle
Senior Citizens Discount (age 62 and up) - 50% discount on all fees listed above"

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the current fee is? I could swear it was $5 or $6 but its been 9 months since I was there last. If the fee increase was just 2 or 3 dollars for the day pass would you be as angered? I personally don't have a major issue with it but would rather see them scale back spending particularly the new road paving. That said I fully support more restrooms, enforcement and maintenance of current facilities, for that I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks extra. Event when I went to the dunes "a lot" it would only result in $20-30 a year in extra fees, pretty minor no? Now onto the multi-day permits, does anyone know where these stand as of today? I would love to know what is actually changing, I understand some things are increasing but they are all over the state, the AF Canyon pass jumped 50% in the last couple of years, about the same increase proposed for Little Sahara annual permit.

KSL also threw us into another frenzy with the 'road paving comment', which according to the BLM is not the case:

Will the revenues from the proposed fee increases be used to repave the existing road system at LSRA?

Answer: No. $7,780,000 of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds were made available for this project. These ARRA funds are part of the economic stimulus package passed by Congress in 2009. The existing paved road system (16 miles) within the LSRA and the Visitor Center parking lot will be repaved in fiscal year 2010. The existing paved road surface is deteriorating and needs to be repaired.

Will additional roads be paved at LSRA, beyond those already paved?

Answer: No. Only the current paved road system will be repaved. No dirt road surfaces will be improved or paved. "

I'll be calling the district next week to get some additional answers, hopefully this will help shape comments.

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thanks Don and Kurt for the good information. When in doubt don't spread rumors, go to the source which also keeps them aware that you care.

www.ut.blm.gov check this site for breakdown.

Last edited: