FINALLY got a bike!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I think its been about 3 years of me wanting to get some sort of dual sport(ish) bike and I finally picked one up today!!

moto_0309.jpg

Its a 2000 WR 400. Nothing real special about it. The PO seems to have taken pretty good care of it. He has been around bikes his whole life and had a collection of 8.

It does have all the parts to make it street legal except the speedo cable is broken. Should be a cheap fix.

I think I got a decent enough deal. I happened to be the guy that called him first this morning and he was cool enough to not sell it out from under me. His phone rang several times while I was there with people calling on it.

plans for the bike are some hand gaurds, get it licensed, and just do some general PM stuff. Then hopefully do Gregs seat cushion mod. I might swap the black plastics back out to blue but it doesnt bother me.

Cant wait to do some trail riding! I am very excited and somewhat nervous. I havent been on a bike for around 10ish years. I did drive around the neighborhood for a good 30 minutes tonight and I had a blast!:rofl:

I will post some better pics soon

Corban_White

SWEET! :D I love to see all the converts on here lately. One word of advice.....Don't go riding with Russ. If you do, and he says a trail "isn't too bad"...........RUN! Run very far and very fast in the other direction. :) ;)

sixstringsteve

Nice! Looks like a super clean bike.

FYI, you don't need a working spedometer to be street legal (but they sure are nice). Let's hit the trails sometime!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Congrats Cheston, you've been looking for awhile! WR400's are great bikes, I didn't mind kick starting the one I had and I went all over the place on it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I saw that one today and it was a sweet deal! :cool: They are a bit older, but the only thing I think is a setback from the early 450's is the e-start. Overall you picked a great bike and I think you'll really like it :D

Speaking of starting did the po show you the proper starting technique? (it blows me away how many people don't know...) This alone will make or break your relationship with the bike. It should NEVER be hard to kick over if you do it right ;)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_b.mpg

Hopefully it runs well, idles well and accelerates well or you'll find yourself learning that carburetor inside and out. Not a big deal though its actually good to know.

Some quick tips I've learned since buying my 02 WR426:

Don't over-rev the motor for long periods of time (no brainer but some don't seem to grasp the concept).

Don't neglect oil changes and the Tusk oil filter for this bike sucks imo (just for this model their paper filters are great).

Don't let these things idle for more than a minute or they get REALLY hot.

Be very careful removing and torquing the bottom (allen) bolt for the oil filter housing. Poor design that strips easy and makes aluminum shavings enter an oil passage :eek:

Sign on to http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Hopefully we can all get together for a ride soon :D

rholbrook

SWEET! :D I love to see all the converts on here lately. One word of advice.....Don't go riding with Russ. If you do, and he says a trail "isn't too bad"...........RUN! Run very far and very fast in the other direction. :) ;)

Dammit Corban. Mind your own business. Seriously though, I know a fun little trail above Fruit Heights. I go up nearly 3 times a week for a quick ride. It's all dirt road. I swear it is.

I'll text you tomorrow

ChestonScout

Thanks everyone! We will have to set up a ride when I get comfortable.

The bike does seem to idle, accelerate and generally run great! It had the fuel in it from last year but he put sta bil in it so its not bad. It will still be nice to get clean fuel in it.

The PO did show me how to start it. Different than the ol 2 strokes im used to. It took me a few kicks to get it started when I got home but I got it. It will take me a little while to perfect it Im sure.

Thanks for all the tips!

I am nervous to go ride with Russ. Dang pros anyway :greg:

Caleb

Sweet, nice bike! I think you'll like that tons more than the husky you were looking at. Russ is fun to ride with, but just because he says it's easy, doesn't mean it is :D If you need any parts, just holler, I can usually save you a few bucks.

Now that it seems we are getting a bunch of guys with bikes, an RME ride would be killer :cool: Let's get it planned!

sixstringsteve

x2 on Caleb saving you money on parts. It's actually faster, cheaper, and easier to order parts through Caleb (Anarchymotorsports) than through RockymountainATVMC.

ChestonScout

Just got back from my first short trip. Went up with Russ. It was a freikin riot! I had so much fun!!

Hopefully riding will come back to me quick and more important I hope I get starting this thing down quick. I had ACL reconstruction on my right knee last year and it isnt super strong. Just need to practice

All in all tho the bike is awesome. It runs great. Russ did notice my fork seals are bad so we will swap them out soon. And after sitting on his seat, the extra foam is in the very near future.

I cant wait to go out again!!!

rholbrook

Don't let Cheston fool you into thinking he has to work his way back into riding. He did just fine tonight. His WR is a good running solid bike. His seat was even harder than mine was originally.

We went up above the mine in Fruit Heights and made a couple of laps to the mouth of Baers Canyon and back. I usually do that ride 3 times a week at night

Thanks again for coming. It was fun.

ChestonScout

another fun ride! Altho I could go ride up there every night and be happy, I cant wait to explore elsewhere.

After the initial startup, the bike started fairly easy the rest of the night. Hopefully Im getting the hang of it.

I think Russ spent as much time on my bike as he did on his tonight. Its funny how similar but how different they are to. I REALLY want a clutch!!!

AND Ya,,,,,the scout feels like its on the back burner already. Im going wheelin friday and Im half tempted to let the wife drive and I will bring the bike!