First black gun???

Caleb

So, I'm wanting to get an AR, it will be my first. I'm trying to find which ones come with good recommendations. I've been doing some research but it seems every review is a good review. Does that mean you can't buy a bad AR? Call me skeptical, but I find that hard to believe. :) So what do I want to look for and look out for? I think I'd like to buy one the first round instead of building (unless you can convince me otherwise) and I don't really have a budget...for the sake of conversation, let's say $2K or less but best bang for the buck and less expensive is better :D (i.e. if I can buy an $800 gun that's pretty much just as good as a $1500 gun with a few upgrades, then I'd rather get the $800 gun and put a few upgrades on it. However, if it's worth spending the $1500 for what you get over the $800 gun even with $700 in upgrades, then the $1500 gun would make more sense.) I'm not sure what length I want. It's highly unlikely this will be a home defense gun, I've got shotguns and handguns for that so having it really short doesn't buy me that bit, but I don't think I want a real long gun either as that adds weight and carrying a heavy gun for hours while hunting varmints sucks. I'm leaning towards a 16"-18"...again unless you can convince me otherwise.

So let me have it :D Teach me a bit about ARs.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a Stag and love it. Handle a few brands and you'll figure out which you like quite fast. I think most brands are good. I've not personally handled a super crappy black gun but some are definitely better than others. However, the " less desireable" gun owner loved theirs.

i think you can get a decent weapon for $1,000. (Assuming no optics). You're asking what's the best Jeep?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Check out the ar15.com forums. I've been lusting over AR's for the last couple weeks, so I've spent a few hours over there. They like Colt and Palmetto State Armory (PSA).

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
There are absolutely bad AR’s out there, everyone and their dog makes AR’s now. You can build one for around $400 bucks these days, but it will be crap. As with anything else you get what you pay for. I’m work on M4’s for the military, and recently tried to fix a buddies no name brand AR he bought, and it was a straight pile of crap.

Honestly if I was going to buy one I would put my money in a Colt or a Rock River. I don’t trust 50,000 psi going off next to my face from a no name brand. I traded my Rock River to Carl for the 4runner, and I really loved that gun. I never had a single malfunction and it would eat any ammo I fed it.

I have a new Colt 6940 my department issued me and it’s kick ass. You’ll pay a few 100 more for a Colt name, but hey they are the ones who developed the guns. Colt you get a time tested trigger mechanism and quality stuff. A lot of the no name manufactures have there own version of the trigger mechanism, some are great some are crap. Colt has been refining theirs for 60+ years. Rock River’s is different but I couldn’t make a complaint against it. If you plan on doing any long range shooting a quality trigger really makes a difference.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I would start by looking at one of these.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=461

In my opinion these are a good/solid value. Nothing too extreme, but hard to find the features and quality for the price elsewhere. Then use it as a comparison against anything else you look at. They are $1000 (or less) and I don't know what else you would really want in an AR. Plan on another $500+ for optics.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I like the Rock River I got from TRD270. :cool: I don't have any other AR experience to compare it to though. Let me know if you want to go shoot it sometime. :D

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Scheels has a selection rock rivers in stock.

i recently shot one and i fell in love.

high quality, accurate, and a whole lot of fun!

if you arent building you cant go wrong with these weapons

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a rock river tactical car a4 I ordered custom built the day after the assault ban was lifted. I have only put about 100 rounds through it but it is obvious the quality is top notch. I have been told by others that while rock river still makes a quality product they have seen some decline in the last few years.

SpeedyVic

I would make sure that I got one with a chrome lined barrel, bolt, and firing chamber. This will greatly ease in keeping it clean and make it last a lot longer than the plain hardened options.

Having bought an AR and then tricking it out to become the gun I've always thought of owning, let me just suggest that you plan it all out and get everything you want all at once, if you can. If you go with a budget option, and then trick it out, you end up spending a lot more than if you source it all and get exactly what you want in the beginning. An AR is like a car. They all have 4 wheels and will get you where you want to go. But some are better than others. A Yugo will take you to your destination, but for how long? Wouldn't you rather drive a BMW?

Here are some crappy pictures of my M&P 15.

IMAG0262.jpgIMAG0263.jpgIMAG0264.jpgIMAG0266.jpg

Caleb

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. It seems Rock River is a fairly safe bet. My brother just bought a RR about a month ago, I knew they were a big name, but I wasn't sure if they were like the Walmart of ARs. I've been reading AR15.com (or trying to) amongst a few other sites, but there is just so much information, it was a bit of overload. There was a setup at Scheels the other day that looked very nice, it was a Black Rain Ordinance AR ($1900), with a Trijcon ACOG Scope ($1300), and a few other parts ($50), for $2900. It was one of those that the reviews all say the gun is a top of the line gun, custom parts from the mfg, etc. but I had never heard of the gun mfg.

I'll get some models in mind and come back to you guys and you can tell me if I'm retarded or not :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have a DPMS which drank a lot of magpul koolaid. :D It's a great rifle and I got it on a trade for some website work. So since I got that rifle a few years ago, I've been bit by the AR bug and outfitted it to my liking. I absolutely love tinkering and shooting them.

I'm in the planning phase for a bit more of a precision build for my next one. I've considered Rock River because of their track record but also Larue Tactical and Spikes tactical. I'd suggest checking out those two... they also offer some really nice billet uppers & lowers which is pretty damn nice and strong.

Caleb

I have a DPMS which drank a lot of magpul koolaid. :D It's a great rifle and I got it on a trade for some website work. So since I got that rifle a few years ago, I've been bit by the AR bug and outfitted it to my liking. I absolutely love tinkering and shooting them.

I'm in the planning phase for a bit more of a precision build for my next one. I've considered Rock River because of their track record but also Larue Tactical and Spikes tactical. I'd suggest checking out those two... they also offer some really nice billet uppers & lowers which is pretty damn nice and strong.

DPMS is another one I've been looking at. Scheels has a DPMS Oracle for $600-$700. Again, the reviews I've found say good things about it. I like the 300-AAC although I want to stick to a .223.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
From what I understand, DPMS makes a few different "grades". I've heard you want to stay away from the cast lower and make sure it's forged. Pretty sure you want to stay away from any cast lowers though. Check the specs on the DPMS Oracle. That's a great price but I'm concerned there might be some corners cut on it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
How about a Daniel Defense built AR? Those are stout and lightweight and come in standard profiles. Something else you could do is build your own lower receiver and buy a complete upper recevier from a company like Daniel Defense, RRA, or Spike's Tactical, they all sell complete uppers that wont break the bank.

One thing's for sure, once you catch Black Rifle Disease, there's no cure :D

P.S. It's probably not the best time to be buying though because after the elections once again, everyone is going crazy marking up prices on all AR-type products and ammunition cashing in on the tin foil hat wearing folk.

Last edited:

CJ Matt

I have an AR10 (308) that has a DPMS barrel and, upper and lower reciever. I have been happy with it but have only put about 50 rounds through it at this point. I want a second AR in .223 that is light weight and has short barrel. Rock River is one of the makers I have looked at a lot but I have not narrowed it down yet because it will be awhile before I buy another gun. I just inherrited 4 guns and really need a gun safe before adding anymore guns.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
DPMS are okay. I have shot a few and liked some and disliked some. Well, I really only disliked the sportical DPMS. All the others were fine.

Get a .22 conversion bolt and mag and you can save some serious money while rabbit hunting. It only takes about 1 minute to switch it out. They can be had for 150-250 bucks. They pay for themselves pretty quick.

Hatewagon

Ive been running a Stag AR for 5 years now. 8000 rounds and no issues. Swapped all the plastics for magpul bits, a surefire and aimpoint.

Sent from the Hatewagon chop shop....